Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I have the larger group 40R battery instead of the original group 96R battery. Also, I have an MGW EJECT power point plug for the dash. I'd say the car is pretty much stock.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I do what I like the looks of or what adds functionality or comfort for me.

Like when I lowered my FX4, most 4x4 guys don't like it, but then they don't drive it either.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-31-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

My GT is my DD and since I want to keep the warranty intact I'm leaving the mods at a minor level. I would like a different exhaust, add an oil separator, and maybe a CAI. More practical mods would be LED lights for the trunk and interior along with a hydraulic hood lift kit.

I had a '13 Focus ST for a while that I was going overboard on & don't want to do that again,
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I mod my car for one reason: to make me happy.

I don't care if American Muscle is laughing all the way to the bank, nor do I care how much any of them make. They're good folks with a good business, so I have no problem shoveling my money towards them.

Modding my car relieves stress from my insane job. When I leave work after a rough day, sit in my car, fire it up, and think "GOD D%MN I love this thing" and tear up the street, then go home and pull things apart just to put them back together again for a few hours, with no one to talk to or think about, I feel like I could take on the world again. When I got home from my deployment I quite literally spent a month under/around my car doing everything to it I dreamed of (and could afford). I don't care what anyone else thinks of it. It's MINE, and I work my *** off to make it that way. I want it to be faster, sexier, and quicker around the turns for one reason only: because I f***ing love the adrenaline that tears through my veins when MY MUSTANG roars to life.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 AM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

Could not have said it better CMcNam
The biggest mod has been the SC, but after that when I replace something it's a upgrade.
Like time for the brakes, well it's time for Brembo 4 piston brakes, I would be spending money anyway, now I make it better than it was from the factory.
Had the car since 2008, now it's time to change the wheels.
Shop around and you can find used and new for same or a bit more than Ford will charge you.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 AM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by dkpGTCS
My GT is my DD and since I want to keep the warranty intact I'm leaving the mods at a minor level. I would like a different exhaust, add an oil separator, and maybe a CAI. More practical mods would be LED lights for the trunk and interior along with a hydraulic hood lift kit.

I had a '13 Focus ST for a while that I was going overboard on & don't want to do that again,
Just FYI a different exhaust will not void warranty, anything past the cats is fine.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

Modding for me is therapeutic. I do everything myself and the whole activity of modding is weaved into my family jeans. Nothing bonds my family more then spending a Saturday with my boys (and sometimes wife) tinkering with the SGT in the garage. I see an unmodded mustang and all I see is a blank canvas waiting to be painted. Laugh all you want, but everyone has their reasons for why they mod.
This says it all for me...
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Default You might say mine is STOCK

My only mod is the S&B CAI for better mpg. Any other mods IMO, makes no sense for my V-6. "Wish I had a V-8." I have the OEM CAI in the garage rafters to put back into factory condition. Woopee!

I do like the cosmetic sequential directional signals and thinking about that for several years. Maybe the flashing middle rear brake light too, when applied, might be attractive to in town followers.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I keep it minimal since I buy near the top of the line for the model I get (it has a lot of what I want already from the factory).

I mod for me when I have money that is throw away money. As already stated, a car in NOT an investment, it's a liability. Anything done to a car just adds to the bottom line of that liability cost (yes even maintenance - aka Cost of Ownership).

The only exception is my front end suspension. I have the Strut bearing clunk so I'm replacing/upgrading those with the FRPP replacements and while I'm in there I'm upgrading the Control Arms (FRPP), and Stabilizer Links (improved 2010+ design) along with new struts (and shocks) from KYB. I don't want to get back under there for the rest of the time I own the car so I'm doing it in one shot.

Other than that, I will be doing gears and maybe exhaust. I'm still on the fence about the driveshaft.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teetertotter
My only mod is the S&B CAI for better mpg. Any other mods IMO, makes no sense for my V-6. "Wish I had a V-8." I have the OEM CAI in the garage rafters to put back into factory condition. Woopee!

I do like the cosmetic sequential directional signals and thinking about that for several years. Maybe the flashing middle rear brake light too, when applied, might be attractive to in town followers.
If you want to get the most out of your S&B CAI, I would recommend getting custom tunes from either Brenspeed or American Muscle! For $379.99, you will feel a noticeable performance gain (15-20 HP) and the ride will be a lot more fun!
Speaking from experience, I had the stand alone Airaid CAI for over 6 months and felt only minimal performance gain at high RPM range, until I uploaded the custom tunes. Personally, I felt the $379.99 was well worth it! Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?