Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?
Yes . . . and no.

I've had my '08 for just under 6 years and I haven't spent a nickel on appearance or infotainment mods. Don't see that ever changing. Haven't touched the exhaust, won't lower it for appearance reasons.

But on the other hand, there are the mods that I had firmly in mind before I even bought the car (cold air, mild tune, GT500 wheels, summer tires, suspension mods, brake pads, rotors) that make it more road course capable and more fun to drive generally every time the road stops going straight. I'm not done yet, and replacing the consumables (brakes, tires) will always represent mods relative to stock.

It's all headed toward what I want the car to be, and as such it really doesn't represent "lost money". With a history of keeping cars a long time, the mods I do make represent investments toward my own enjoyment, and what I get out of that comes cheap at the price as long as I think before I spend.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-02-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Vyacheslav Molotov

Originally Posted by RazorGT
the thing with mustangs is people throw away all their money on mods to impress people they don't even know, mean while sites like americanmuscle.com are laughing all the way to the bank. I even notice this in a lot of their advertisements, they make it sound like if you don't have XYZ mod, your car looks like crap.
I don't know who mods their car to impress other people, but they should stop doing that.

I mod my car for myself. Visually, that means that i don't do very much. I think that too many mustangs become more show than go, and it really can become a game of how much **** can I stick to my car with 3M tape.

Mustangs with scoops(even functional), louvers, stickers, and all of the other god awful things people find at pepboys or at AM are things that make the car look immature. The car, with maybe a small lip spoiler (no bigger than the GT500), heat extractors, lowered an inch in the front and 1.5 in the rear, with 19 or 18 inch rims can look sophisticated and strong in nearly every color. You can go a bit further with a black car, because it hides scoops and things to a certain degree, but the car already screams "look at me!" It doesn't need be red or yellow(in conjunction with the other things i listed, I am fine with red or yellow, you just need to be more mindful of other visual mods with those colors,a s they already stick out in a crowd), loud as hell, big heavy chrome rims, fake hood pins, fake hood scoops, fake window scoops and top it off with louvers that i can see the water spotted glass through.

You should mod the car to make it better. Short throw shifter, lighter stronger rims, bigger brakes, better flowing exhaust, tune, upgrade the sway bars, shocks, and springs. And then do one or two things visually to set the car apart, maybe paint the calipers yellow, maybe get a gt500 style flip spoiler, but get it in mat black. Maybe get a real (or even a tasteful fake) hood scoop. Just be subtle with it. If you are spending thousands of dollars on plastic pieces from AM, and sticking them on you car, very few people are going to be impressed, and it should be alarming that they are impressed, not rewarding.

The reward of the mods should be that you are to busy having a blast driving that you don't notice what other people are looking at or thinking, not that the exterior of your car has become so over the top and busy that people can't help but stare.

Last edited by Vyacheslav Molotov; 01-02-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I will do a few mods to improve things that bother me or that I think are cool. I've already installed an MGW shifter, the AM gas spring hood lift kit and some WeatherTech mats. Nothing else is immediately planned outside of a change over to Redline MTL in the transmission.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
If you want to get the most out of your S&B CAI, I would recommend getting custom tunes from either Brenspeed or American Muscle! For $379.99, you will feel a noticeable performance gain (15-20 HP) and the ride will be a lot more fun!
Speaking from experience, I had the stand alone Airaid CAI for over 6 months and felt only minimal performance gain at high RPM range, until I uploaded the custom tunes. Personally, I felt the $379.99 was well worth it! Just my 2 cents.
Sounds good and here is where I am coming from. In 2006, a stock GT vs a stock 4.0L, were tested and written that the GT will win by 40 feet in the 1/4 mile. So, if I spend approx. $400.00 to gain 20HP more and whatever else and might have to use Premium Fuel all the time, I might gain 3 more feet on the GT or close the gap to 37 feet in the 1/4 mile at the very MOST...... its still a sixer my friend. That is not a performance gain in my book. No, I prefer to keep mine stock and drive it for several more years with 87 Octane.

Now, if involved in the timed road rally sport, suspension work would be in order with new wheels. I would put the $400.00 in those areas. My .50 cents

I had originally purchased the V6, Auto, as fit my tall frame, be nice to drive, and liked the test drive handling. We moved to take care of the aged in-laws and the new commute was going to be 110 miles every day with 90% interstate. There were some county roads and loved certain challenges that presented. I was averaging 28-30 mpg w/o Ethanol at our gas pumps, summer, w A/C, beating the window avg mpg for Hwy and City. Only thing have had replaced out of warranty period is the C02 sensor and rear differential. Still, "Wish I had a V-8." People still comment on my exterior V-6 w WI. Veteran
Lic Plates. Stock everything is good for me.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I couldnt keep the stock all season 245's, no where near enough grip for a 400 hp car. Also could not keep the suspension stock, way too sloppy and floaty for a performance car. Then i got a bama tune and the difference was amazing , then i got an intake and retune and it was even better.

also, the car had almost no sound with the stock exhaust , so that was actually my 1st mod.

no regrets in spending on mods at all, I love my car.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:52 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I can tell you that the internet and these types of forums made the aftermarket business explode. It's made it an easier hobby to get involved. As far as modding for me it's bc I enjoy it and I make the money to do so. Now if you make 15 bucks an hour it's probably a hobby to stay away from. I wouldn't say the aftermarket is laughing all the way to the bank. You could say your bank and credit cards might be.

I also have my car paid off and have so for roughly 3.5 years. I have no intentions of selling it. I know some guys talk about the old cars from years ago that are wotprth something now but I don't see that happening ever with these cars. Just too many of them. He'll even the gt500 have gone down in value. If you have production number one then yea you will have something otherwise I doubt it
Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Well guys, it's a hobby for most of us.
People that will never touch their Stang are basically happy to have a car that looks better than a Camry and will likely never join a Forum, it's good enough for them.

A few like myself, also capitalize into "Transforming" their car in order to get business to the door but we'd still mod the car regardless.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Well guys, it's a hobby for most of us.
People that will never touch their Stang are basically happy to have a car that looks better than a Camry and will likely never join a Forum, it's good enough for them.

A few like myself, also capitalize into "Transforming" their car in order to get business to the door but we'd still mod the car regardless.
I resemble that remark. Just because I'm not into mods doesn't mean I don't love cars. I have received plenty of good advice on the forum, including from you, Pascal, when my front bumper cover was scratched and dented by another car while my car was parked.

Hopefully, I have been able to steer other members in the right direction on things that don't involve mods.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

My 2014 GT is stock except for the MRT (Shelby GT500) rear louvers I put on it to reduce the sunlight coming into the rear glass. Works great! Really reduced the interior temperature on a hot, sunny day.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by teetertotter
Sounds good and here is where I am coming from. In 2006, a stock GT vs a stock 4.0L, were tested and written that the GT will win by 40 feet in the 1/4 mile. So, if I spend approx. $400.00 to gain 20HP more and whatever else and might have to use Premium Fuel all the time, I might gain 3 more feet on the GT or close the gap to 37 feet in the 1/4 mile at the very MOST...... its still a sixer my friend. That is not a performance gain in my book. No, I prefer to keep mine stock and drive it for several more years with 87 Octane.

Now, if involved in the timed road rally sport, suspension work would be in order with new wheels. I would put the $400.00 in those areas. My .50 cents

I had originally purchased the V6, Auto, as fit my tall frame, be nice to drive, and liked the test drive handling. We moved to take care of the aged in-laws and the new commute was going to be 110 miles every day with 90% interstate. There were some county roads and loved certain challenges that presented. I was averaging 28-30 mpg w/o Ethanol at our gas pumps, summer, w A/C, beating the window avg mpg for Hwy and City. Only thing have had replaced out of warranty period is the C02 sensor and rear differential. Still, "Wish I had a V-8." People still comment on my exterior V-6 w WI. Veteran
Lic Plates. Stock everything is good for me.
I understand where you are coming from. I also have a V6 and am not trying to compete with the V8's. I am just trying to add some more performance to make the drive a little more fun. Honestly, I don't race my car nor do I plan too.
I have three custom tunes (87,89,93) and I have the ability to choose which tune and octane to run in my car.
Getting a V8 is definitely on my wish list, however I have several more years to pay on my Wife's SUV. Once I pay it off, I will be on the market searching for a V8 or Cobra Terminator.
In the meantime, I am going to enjoy my lil Sixxer with the 2 missing cylinders.
Thank you for your services in the Military!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 01-03-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?