Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI and tune or just tune my 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Default CAI and tune or just tune my 5.0

I know I want a tune ,I'll be getting the x cal with the bama from AM.
How much difference will a cai make. I was going to get the air raid and tuner combo but will the cai really give me much more gain.

I know the tune will make a world of difference.

The 5.0 has "cold air induction"

Thanks for any info
-Chris
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

i had tune without cai, then tune with cai

ill say , go ahead and get a CAI it was worth it and there was a noticeable difference. airaid would probably be the best choice since with the restrictor its able to run the stock tune. Steeda is great too though and probably looks better.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Steeda is really nice, that's what I run and it has a connection for the air intake that sits above the headlight. Does definitely require a tune other wise it will run super rich and just like crap. I went from about 380 to the rear wheels to 413 after CAI and tune.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
Steeda is really nice, that's what I run and it has a connection for the air intake that sits above the headlight. Does definitely require a tune other wise it will run super rich and just like crap. I went from about 380 to the rear wheels to 413 after CAI and tune.
You must have gotten one hell of a factory freak to be putting down 380rwhp completely stock. That approximately puts your car from factory at 450bhp. Something doesn't seem right there!

Anyways back to OP... how much difference will a CAI make if your gonna go with a tune make sure its not a restricted CAI (has the plate in the tubing) all the intakes on AM.com that don't have this plate will list as "tune required". You will see between 20-25rwhp gain from the CAI ontop of the tune.

93 Bama Race tune by itself will bump put you in and around 385-388rwhp mark add the AIRRAID or the Steeda 101mm intake and you'll dyno in and around 398-401rwhp mark.

If 91 octane is only available in your area then from those numbers with the 93 octane take away 2-5hp from them.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

yeah. the power put down is different from each dyno. mine only put down 350 but it was 90 degrees out and 100 percent humidity. thats with a cai and 93 tune. I used a dynojet dyno which i understand always shows lower rwp numbers.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I'd say it's worth it to add on an intake as well. I have an intake on mine and just the sound alone, hearing it a bit more up front is worth it let alone the power that you get up top. This is what I've got on mine:

aFe Power Magnum Force Pro 5R Stage 2 Intake System for '11-'14 Ford Mustang 5.0L

The construction of the aFe Magnum Force Pro 5R Stage 2 Intake System is nothing less than bulletproof. The tubing is covered in a coat of wrinkle-black spray that ensures durability and longevity for the life of your car. The air filter itself is a huge 8 inches in length for maximum air flow and amazing filtration capabilities. It is also washable and reusable so the long days of driving fun will never end.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grnbayfan
yeah. the power put down is different from each dyno. mine only put down 350 but it was 90 degrees out and 100 percent humidity. thats with a cai and 93 tune. I used a dynojet dyno which i understand always shows lower rwp numbers.
Did you dyno with the 93 Race Tune?

I would talk to them about what correction factor SAE or STD or Custom. There is a slight difference between the SAE and STD and if I recall correctly STD will read a tad bit higher numbers than SAE. If your putting down 350 with a 93 race tune I would suspect they were using that days information to give you an idea of your everyday numbers not under perfect condition numbers..
Old 01-03-2014, 05:58 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BairdGT
You must have gotten one hell of a factory freak to be putting down 380rwhp completely stock. That approximately puts your car from factory at 450bhp. Something doesn't seem right there!

Anyways back to OP... how much difference will a CAI make if your gonna go with a tune make sure its not a restricted CAI (has the plate in the tubing) all the intakes on AM.com that don't have this plate will list as "tune required". You will see between 20-25rwhp gain from the CAI ontop of the tune.

93 Bama Race tune by itself will bump put you in and around 385-388rwhp mark add the AIRRAID or the Steeda 101mm intake and you'll dyno in and around 398-401rwhp mark.

If 91 octane is only available in your area then from those numbers with the 93 octane take away 2-5hp from them.
Mine did 389 stock

The BOSS uses the same airbox as a stock GT. That should tell you something. A CAI on these cars is for looks. Unless you have a BOSS manifold and full exhaust, AND something that would require more air.. then you should get a CAI.

Ford went thought a lot of trouble to optimize airflow with the BOSS. Them using the stock airbox was not a cost cutting solution.. or oversight. The stock airbox was done right.. and is more of a CAI than many of the open CAIs that pull in the hot air from the engine bay.

Unless someone here can show back to back dyno runs of this:
No mods.. stock
No other mods + Tune
No other mods + CAI and Tune..

you wont find that.

What you will find is "it made a huge difference..".. "had long tubes installed at the same time, but im sure it was the CAI..."

An aftermarket CAI adds nothing. Even if it were to draw in more air, that air is not used.. you are limited to what the intake can handle. Manufacturers say it makes more air "available".. but it certainly does not add HP.. or enough to be greater than a margin of error.. in these cars.

With the 4.6 it was a very different story.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BairdGT

Well that's what it does :P I just go by what the dyno sheet says so...... I am not sure what kind of dyno it is. The shop I take it to the dyno was built into the floor.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info.
I've heard from a lot of people that the factory box is really good on these cars.
I'll probably just go with the cai and tune because I'll eventually get one anyway haha

Quick Reply: CAI and tune or just tune my 5.0