Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: should u warm up ur car before driving?
yes or ull break ur car!
37.50%
no it just wastes gas, but at least its warm when u get in!?
62.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

should i warm up my car before driving when its cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:19 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I wait till the revs drop below 1000. and i drive it easy till the temp gauge reaches normal temperature
Old 01-04-2014, 04:33 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grnbayfan
not to mention when you do pull out and start driving i ususally dont accelerate too quickly until i see the temp guage almost at normal.
This right here
Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Depends on how cold the wife is on these winter days......remote start to get the heat flowing so I don't hear her shivering......and the same for the A/C in the summer. I give up some mpg for her comfort....but then again, I never bought a Mustang for MPG. Otherwise, it is started and by the time the idle drops, I am out of the garage.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I voted NO as it covers the situation better, because "cold" can fit a wide range of temperatures. We attach a certain personality to our cars but in reality, they don't feel cold or hot like we do. Cold means ambient temp, and in May or August, few people will waste fuel and time warming the car for a drive. If it's like today , January and 12 degrees when leaving home, then I think it's good to start the car and let it idle for a few minutes, it will warm the engine some and whether auto or straight, will warm the trans some.

Like for example, this morning we left here to go to a meeting about 1-1/2 hour away, thermometer was at that 12 mark, and what with it being a pretty day we were promised ... we decided to take the Mustang (08 GT 5spd). I pulled the cover off and then I started it and let it warm for a few minutes while I stepped back into the house to fill my "go cup" from my Keurig. She idled maybe 6-8 minutes. I was sure that first couple shifts were gonna be stiff .... but she shifted really easy going up the hill instead.

In contrast, I started her Jan 1st for a day ride on the BRP and it was a good 30 degrees warmer that day, up in the 40s and that day I just started her up and within a minute, we were pulling out and the trans was pretty stiff going into 2nd and 3rd that day.

So no doubt about the trans liking a little warm up today and I doubt it hurt the engine any. Also, I never dog a vehicle cold .... the only exception ever being once in a blue moon I had to because of emergency when in my last career.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I get in my cars, start them and buckle up then drive away being mindful to RPM. I do not accelerate rapidly until engine is running at full temp. Been doing this my entire driving life, and have lived in multiple weather conditions from Southern CA, to Philadelphia. Never had one problem. I typically run my cars well into a few hundred thousand miles before getting another one too.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Ambient temp is 14* farenheit right now. Coolant registered 14* prior to start. Here is a screenshot of 15 seconds after startup. Look at the coolant temp. The RPMs havent even settled to idle. The aluminum soaks the heat in like a beast.
wow! thanks for taking the time to show this...amazing.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM
ncbrandie

I also wait until the RPM drops to 1-ish. When my stang cranks up the motor is loud and fast and I just wait until that RPM goes doooowwwn. It's been working for me.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I startup and go....rpms low till the temp gauge come up, then I boost it!

Nothing more annoying than a dumbass running his car for 30mins at 5:30am while you're trying to sleep!!!

Last edited by Roy_R; 01-04-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

there is a lot of conflicting data on the web about this...common sense dictates that idling in the driveway = zero MPG and starting the car, getting the fluids moving around, and driving easy = 17 MPG
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

I always wait until the idle settles too. Just better to be safe then the alternative.

Quick Reply: should i warm up my car before driving when its cold?