Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any tips/how too smoke/tint tail lights etc.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BWfVA
I say don't they are a safety issue especially during bright sunshine. I am almost positive you don't want to get rear ended and the person say I didn't know they were stopping. They don't look bad its just they are hard to see
I say if thats the case, you may be able to retort the other driver didn't allow proper distance between the cars to stop.

I've seen cars on the freeway with faulty tail lights that don't even come on and the first thing any seasoned driver would do is switch lanes or allow ample stopping distance to compensate for whats in front of them.

Go ahead and tint them, just don't go too dark or you may risk becoming a magnet for unwanted attention for the PO-PO
Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

+1 I used niteshades on my stock lights. Then like 4 heavy coats of clear, wetsanded with 2000 grit until the surface was perfectly level with no pitting, then polished with my porter cable.

I didn't sand the lights before painting.. just cleaned them really well with rubbing alcohol. I sanded my 3rd brake light before spraying and it didn't turn out as good.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I only ever used Niteshades once and I could never get it to look right. I kept getting fisheyes and flecks of stuff in the paint and it just never looked right.

I did use it on the reflectors on my old Thunderbird and they gave me a nice look there, but on large flat surfaces they always came out looking like crap for me.

Also, with the tint I currently had on my taillights, it wasn't blackout tint or anything...they looked smoked but weren't super dark. At night you couldn't even tell they had been tinted.

I did mine myself and had a few very tiny bubbles that surfaced after a couple weeks, but it never got any worse and you can't even see them unless you get right up close. I did have issues with the tint on my third brake light coming off, and after looking at it closely it appears the lens is cracked and I'm not even sure how that happened. But I think that's why it lifted there.

One word of warning, if you do it yourself, get a tint squeegee but cover it in a wet paper towel. Otherwise it will scratch the hell out of the tint film.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

I have been using VHT Nightshades for years. I have had to touch it up, after ~10 years, but I didn't clear over it.

I have known a lot of folks that go to the same level of effort as 07BLACKGT mentions above, and they never had issues or needed to touch it up.