Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which mod should i get?
black stripes on hood, trunk and roof
71.43%
rear deck lid panel
28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

rear deck panel or racing stripes?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:08 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default rear deck panel or racing stripes?

i've been thinking of one of these mods, (i think they both look cool, but i don't like how they look together.

not usually a fan of stripes but think they look great on the early s197s, I got a s197 redfire, and i think black stripes plus redfire pain look awesome! theres a local shop that can do black gt500 like stripes on my hood, roof and trunk cut and laid for 200$ out the door. but to go all the way down to the bumpers they charge an extra 200$ because its a lot harder.... would it still look good if i had black stripes only on hood,roof and trunk?

otherwise a simple rear decklid panel. (when did these become popular, were they on the classic mustangs like sequentials?)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:17 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

also another thing i was wondering, I love flowmasters exhaust, and been looking at the flow masters axlebacks, and I see on the reviews that they are just flowmasters 40s mufflers yet cost 400$ because they come with tips.

So if i just went to a parts store and got 2 flow master 40s mufflers and kept my stock tips would it sound nice? I love my stock exhaust note, I just want it a little louder!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Get stripes. Dual 12" wide. All the way down in the rear. Trunk panels are not near as intimidating looking on the street as stripes. Huge difference in how the car looks overall. Nobody says to themselves, "Man, that rear deck panel makes that 'Stang look mean as heck." Make sure you get cast and not calendered vinyl-very important as cast is designed to last years longer. Cast also retains it's shape when stretched and forms to curves far better.
Before & After
Name:  af7f7890-bf5a-4edc-b6e7-424a5fd2f44e_zpsad2f25a7.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  119.3 KB

Here's the rear the day before doing the lower bumper and after I put it on. All the way down looks better but either is still good looking.
Name:  110a20af-06e4-4e1b-b871-7dc5558169e0_zps4eee8268.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  61.0 KBName:  1301ebdf-bf6e-45b4-8151-6b025588dd65_zps80a03da6.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  95.4 KB

Last edited by Ricardo; 01-25-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

cool recaro, is it okay if i don't go all the way down though? or would it look bad if i just got hood, roof and trunk? (the price doubles going all the way down)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I edited to include before I did the lower rear bumper to help you decide. BTW, flat black stripes look awesome on the brighter colored cars like ours. They shouldn't double the price. I had never touched vinyl before and did all this myself using video from Americanmuscle. Hand trimmed the license plate cutout with some painters tape and an exacto knife just like the video shows. Can imagine it would be zero issue for a pro shop to do the lower rear bumper. Show them my work (it's not perfect & I plan to redo it but it works for now) and tell them what I said. tell them I said to "man up" and quit acting like sissies. lol

Last edited by Ricardo; 01-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Back in the late sixties and early seventies the black out panel was used on performance models of cars. It broke the rear of the car up a bit.

I know Chevrolet used it to denote big block cars.

I assume that Ford did similar.

I personally think that the racing stripes are overdone, but if you like them, my opinion should not hold you back. They are a time proved design.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:28 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

IMO stripes look way better when you go all the way down bumper included.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My wife's ride has the factory stripes that end at the hood and trunk lid. It looks ok to me but not great. I much prefer the stripes going all the way down. I agree that the job is a little harder having done stripes twice personally, but for a pro I think doubling the price is a little high. The hood, roof and trunk lid stripes are easy and fast so they are already making a good profit. I'd say if you have a garage and time this is a job that anyone can do with the precut kits very easily. Absolutely the most important thing I found was marking the centerline of the car accurately. I bought mine I think from baltimore street mods but I dont know if they are around anymore.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

BSM is down. word is that he was not licensed by Ford and is being sued.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
BSM is down. word is that he was not licensed by Ford and is being sued.
BSM?

I'd feel better having a pro do it - I just don't have steady hands at all. I hear window tinting is easy and I couldn't even get the crap to stick to the window or cut it in the correct shape lol.

I tried putting racing stripes on my car in forza horizon, and they are crooked....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear deck panel or racing stripes?