Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on the SVT exhaust with x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:53 PM
stumper66

Default Opinions on the SVT exhaust with x-pipe

When I picked up my GT from the dealer, the showroom floor had another GT with the SVT exhaust and x-pipe. I had them fire it up for me and it sounded really sweet. I'm thinking about getting it for mine but the price is a hefty $1,200 or so.

Has anyone got it on their car? Do you like the sound?
I want my Stang louder but not hear me from 3 blocks away loud.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

$1200? Is that a dealer price? You can buy an x-pipe and SVT (gt500 axleback) exhaust for less than $800 online. If you don't have a tuner, then tack on about $400 more for the tuner. I found a used GT500 + BBK off-road x-pipe for $400 used. I am installing that on my car this weekend.

You can change the axleback without any changes to the computer. However, if you change the x-pipe you will need to purchase a tune for the car.

The sound is amazing. Probably the best combination for exhaust on these cars if you don't want to go full long-tube headers. It will be loud so you won't be sneaking up on anybody I would recommend just changing the axleback exhaust. It is easy, inexpensive and gives a significant sound change if you put on the right one. Then if its not loud enough change the x-pipe.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
However, if you change the x-pipe you will need to purchase a tune for the car.
Only if it is an off road x pipe, otherwise I totally agree about getting the parts online and installing them yourself. Dealer will charge waayyyy too much and they aren't going to install an off road x pipe any way.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I have a UPR off-road x-pipe & Roush mufflers on my 5.0, and I think it sounds A MAZ ING, but exhaust sound is a personal preference. You really have to HEAR different setups and decide for yourself. You should also ride/drive in them as well, because some of these systems are known to have an awful drone around 2k rpms. My UPR/Roush system doesn't drone at all, but it sounds aggressive.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 AM
stumper66

Yes, that was the price installed from the dealer. If it's relatively easy then I'll install it myself.
What's the difference between the regular and the off-road pipe?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

The "regular" x-pipe has catalytic converters. The off road x pipe does not.

@Sharad - I ran the stainless works off road x with the roush axle backs and while it was fun, it was insanely loud. I would not recommend that set up to anyone. Way too loud for a DD. At certain speeds and temps it was just plain annoying. I put the stock mufflers back on and will swap to the GT500's before long.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
@Sharad - I ran the stainless works off road x with the roush axle backs and while it was fun, it was insanely loud. I would not recommend that set up to anyone. Way too loud for a DD. At certain speeds and temps it was just plain annoying. I put the stock mufflers back on and will swap to the GT500's before long.

This might be a case of like I said "exhaust sound is a personal preference." I had the GT500s on my previous daily driver, and I thought it was too quiet. There's a grandmother who drops her grandkids off at my kids' school, and her Mustang sounded better than mine. It was messing with my head!

So I went with the Roush mufflers on this one, and I love them. It's aggressive, but I don't think it's obnoxious. My Fox with 2" primary headers and 4" collector mufflers is obnoxious.