Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will the shop i go to be able to do tranny flush and coolant flush or do ineed dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default will the shop i go to be able to do tranny flush and coolant flush or do ineed dealer

06 gt auto, i hear we got a tranny that has a special bolt that only a ford tech with a ford tool can open to drain/replace to fluid and filter...is this true? and if it is why would they do this?? 1% reasons?

what about the coolant?

theres a shop in my town that is amazing, its run by 2 guys who were local race car drivers, not only are they magic workers in the garage - they are cheap as hell! on my last mustang they did coolant flush, serpentine belt, sparks+ wires, rear pinion seal all for 150$. (i bought the parts myself) They are really great and you usually have to book a week in advance for an appointment. Dealer wanted 250$ just for the coolant flush!

So I really want to give them as much business as I can and save $ and hope they can do my tranny and coolant...will they be able to or do i gotta go to stealership?
Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
06 gt auto, i hear we got a tranny that has a special bolt that only a ford tech with a ford tool can open to drain/replace to fluid and filter...is this true? and if it is why would they do this?? 1% reasons?

what about the coolant?

theres a shop in my town that is amazing, its run by 2 guys who were local race car drivers, not only are they magic workers in the garage - they are cheap as hell! on my last mustang they did coolant flush, serpentine belt, sparks+ wires, rear pinion seal all for 150$. (i bought the parts myself) They are really great and you usually have to book a week in advance for an appointment. Dealer wanted 250$ just for the coolant flush!

So I really want to give them as much business as I can and save $ and hope they can do my tranny and coolant...will they be able to or do i gotta go to stealership?
Why are you asking us? Better yet why don't you ask them?...... -_-
Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

because i don't expect them to know every single thing about every single car that is made - I'd rather find out here rather than take it to them then find out last minute they can't access it.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

because i don't expect them to know every single thing about every single car that is made - I'd rather find out here rather than take it to them then find out last minute they can't access it.
Reputable mechanics, especially one that work on modern cars and have a background in auto racing will know what is needed or not needed to work on brand specific problems with cars. Call them on the phone and state your concerns. I guarantee you that they will know whether they can perform the job or not.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

i called and he said that he can

but i heard a while ago that u have to get tranny fluid flushed at a dealer because they have a ford shaped bolt that only a dealer tech can open to drain the fluid.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

but i heard a while ago that u have to get tranny fluid flushed at a dealer because they have a ford shaped bolt that only a dealer tech can open to drain the fluid.
I'm sure they have equipment to tackle different manufacturer specific bolts and whatnot. My girlfriends mom has a 2012 Chevy equinox that needs a specific GM part# socket to take the oil filter off to change the oil. I had all the oil drained when I noticed this dilemma. So, I called Auto zone and they sell the socket at their store. So I'm, more than sure, you'll be fine.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt
I'm sure they have equipment to tackle different manufacturer specific bolts and whatnot. My girlfriends mom has a 2012 Chevy equinox that needs a specific GM part# socket to take the oil filter off to change the oil. I had all the oil drained when I noticed this dilemma. So, I called Auto zone and they sell the socket at their store. So I'm, more than sure, you'll be fine.
alright, thanks
Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

dealer tech only bolt tool.
Now I have heard it all.

cept the BonAmi down the intake to help seat piston rings...

U heard wrong

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=245&viewfil...ain%20Plug.pdf

special fill tool maybe
Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
dealer tech only bolt tool.
Now I have heard it all.

cept the BonAmi down the intake to help seat piston rings...

U heard wrong

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=245&viewfil...ain%20Plug.pdf

special fill tool maybe
Lol... dB coming in again!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

...well if he wasnt, I was!!!
special tools indeed...HA!
I've filled several auto trans with no special tools.

Now if you do a 'flush' as described in the service manuals, there is more to that. However, people have had issues after a "flush" due to debris getting dislodged and then getting into the system.

Changing the fluid and filter should be done and will change most of the fluid in the system.

Quick Reply: will the shop i go to be able to do tranny flush and coolant flush or do ineed dealer