Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a jack under a lowered car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I have a low profile jack and I still have to use boards to jack up the car. There isn't any shame in using boards to jack up a car.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

one thing I've seen is using a wheel dolly to lift it up enough to get a jack under it.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I have a few left over shingles that I drive up on. Works well.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
I have a low-pro Jack from Harbour Freight, I bought one of their nicer jacks so it was $120 on sale and I HATE IT. If you decide to buy something, look for something better.
Honestly, if i bought a jack it wouldn't be from HF. I've heard consistently bad things about their jacks.

The one I have is some chinese "Michelin" branded speedy-lift 3 ton from Sams Club that I got for $100 probably 6 years ago, makes some funny noises and the bearings fell out of one of the casters but it still works great and doesn't bleed down. That's why I don't really want to buy a new one at the moment.

Guess I'll have to resort to getting some boards...
Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I've heard nothing but bad from the HF stuff too, honestly. Now, that may be from guys using them in a true "shop", where they are getting more use than you or I would give them. For my money, which is limited, I'm going to spend just a bit more and at least get something from Sears (although some of their stuff is questionable anymore). I don't want the thing leaking down/falling/scaring me if I'm under it or near it, even with jackstands holding the weight. Just not a good feeling. The older I get, the less I like being under a car.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I'm afraid I don't understand your reluctance to using boards - they're as reliable in this function as anvils are for hammering metal on.

If you add stop blocks to the front ends, you can cut the boards short enough so they won't foul where you want to place the floor jack. Cut the back ends on an angle to make driving up on them easier.

Only one of my cars is lowered (not the Mustang), but I still need boards to ease the transition from driveway to the inclined portions of my ramps else the valances of all four of my cars will rub.

Norm
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

HF is a good one-off use tool... that's about it. I got a trans jack from them that is fairly crappy.. but it worked and only cost me $55. I'm personally about to head to Sears and pick up a craftsman low-pro 2 ton jack, I used to buy off-brand tools but after so much rust and some of them breaking, I only buy big brands with warranties anymore..... (Hell, at the Fair Oaks Mall yesterday I picked up 10 piece ratcheting combination wrenchs, standard and metric for $39 each)
Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

Torin low profile jack and Race Ramps. The Torin is available at WalMart and the ramps run @ $250 for the 50+ inch long ones.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Honestly, if i bought a jack it wouldn't be from HF. I've heard consistently bad things about their jacks.

The one I have is some chinese "Michelin" branded speedy-lift 3 ton from Sams Club that I got for $100 probably 6 years ago, makes some funny noises and the bearings fell out of one of the casters but it still works great and doesn't bleed down. That's why I don't really want to buy a new one at the moment.

I have the same jack from the same place. I bought it about 8 years ago. It was solid for about 4. Since then I have to add fluid every 8-12 months to keep it usable. I need a couple new ones this time around.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You guys need to stay away from HF, lol.
They don't carry anything worth a damn really.
On occasion you'll see something not made in China but it's rare.

As it's been mentioned... regular boards (like 2x6s) are very handy.
I mean, how hard is it to drive onto those things??

Quick Reply: Getting a jack under a lowered car...