Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a jack under a lowered car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default Getting a jack under a lowered car...

Curious as to what solutions you guys may have found for this that doesn't involve driving the car onto boards.

Here's the deal: I put "P" springs on the front of my car, and if I have it parked on my inclined driveway (front end facing uphill) I can just squeak my jack under the K-member, but sitting in the garage I cannot (the jack pad hits the K-member but won't slide under).

I have a standard jack, it's still in good shape, and I really don't want to go drop $100+ on a low profile jack right now. Plus it looks like I only need maybe 1/4" to get under the K-member.

Are there low profile jack pads out there? Or has anyone made their own or something? I wondered if I could grind down the one that's on the jack, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. I might just have to see if I can make something out of plate and a short piece of pipe that will work just for jacking up the front end. I really don't want to have to start the car, back it up into the snow, and drive it forward onto some boards if I can possibly get around it.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I've been getting by with a scissor jack like the ones equipped on cars for spare wheel and tire swap, to get it high enough for my regular jack.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Cockygt500
3rd Gear Member

I have done the same thing with a scizzer jack but I used it just enough to get the floor jack under it and reversed step to get it out. Seems like double work but I like knowing something bigger is holding it. Picked one up in a junk yard.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86HOGT
I've been getting by with a scissor jack like the ones equipped on cars for spare wheel and tire swap, to get it high enough for my regular jack.
Same thing except I use an old school Ford bottle jack.
But even if you used the board trick, from what you describe, the board would only need to be about a foot long.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86HOGT
Yeah I did the same thing for awhile too, but my dad picked me up a low profile jack and it makes it a whole lot easier now. So I would suggest to the OP just pony up the money for a low profile jack and you won't regret spending that extra coin.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I use a low-profile racing jack from harbor freight; they have them on sale from time to time for $69. I place the jack behind the rocker panel onto the frame and lift by the frame (not under the lip).
Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

If you dont want to spend the money just roll onto some boards, its not a big deal really. I do it everytime I jack my car up. Realize a good jack you will use forever. There are certain tools that you just have to have in your setup and a good jack is one of them.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:46 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I have one of the low profile harbor freight jacks which does not work as well as the larger heavy duty jacks. I'm planning to head to Lowes this week, buy a 2x12, and have them cut it into four pieces so I can drive all four tires onto the boards and then jack the car up with a nice HD jack.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I use a short length of 2x4, like 6" or so? Raises it up just enough to get a "normal" jack under the front. No troubles with the rear.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

I have a low-pro Jack from Harbour Freight, I bought one of their nicer jacks so it was $120 on sale and I HATE IT. If you decide to buy something, look for something better.

That said, when I had a standard height jack I did what everyone else is recommending, I screwed together a 1"x4" and a 2"x4" and I rolled up on it. Once on, I jacked my car up from there.

Quick Reply: Getting a jack under a lowered car...