Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of the Boss 302 oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Default What do you think of the Boss 302 oil cooler?

hey all,
I was wondering what you think of the Boss 302 oil cooler? from AM...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Personally, I really like this Boss oil cooler a lot more than the oil-to-air coolers. I'm actually less interested in cooling the oil as I am in heating the oil up to operating temperature.

The nice thing about this Boss cooler is that engine coolant is circulated around the oil to keep it "cool." In reality, engine coolant heats up a lot faster than the engine oil. So for a cold start, this Boss oil cooler will help heat your oil up to temperature quicker. Once it reaches the operating temperature, the coolant helps maintain the consistent temperature and "cools" the oil.

I'm not sure how familiar you're with engine wear, but almost 80-90% of engine wear is caused from cold engine starts/cycles. If you can minimize the time of the cold start ups, you'll potentially minimize the wear of the engines bearings, piston rings, cylinder walls, etc. Remember, oil is thicker when it's cold and engine clearances are tighter when they're cold!

Hope this info helps you out!

Shane
Old 02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Shane! I'm about to pull the trigger on my AM build list, my tax refund just hit the bank!!! Yay!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

My pleasure vixr! Gotta love tax season, I pretty much do the same thing every year. When I tell myself I'm going to save the extra cash... crazy lol.

What's all included in your build list? Seems like you have most of the bolt-ons already. Except, I'm surprised you're still running stock wheels!

Shane
Old 02-15-2014, 08:44 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
I'm surprised you're still running stock wheels!

Shane
Well, I bought the car with just a few miles on it and my first mod was all the suspension parts in my sig. So, its a beautiful day and I'm sitting on a 5 gal bucket putting the spring on the strut...my wife comes out to watch me for awhile. She walked around and through all the OEM and new parts on the floor and with a worried/confused look on her face, then says "let me get this straight, you are replacing new parts with new parts?" I just sit there with a dumb look on my face and say "um...yeah" Then she gets all narrow eyed on me and says "whats wrong with you?" shakes her head and walks away...
I have 9000 miles on these tires and if I wish to remain married, I will be replacing the wheels and tires when the tires are worn out. I only live seven miles from work. I might put 20 miles a day on the car...

Last edited by vixr; 02-15-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vixr
Well, I bought the car with just a few miles on it and my first mod was all the suspension parts in my sig. So, its a beautiful day and I'm sitting on a 5 gal bucket putting the spring on the strut...my wife comes out to watch me for awhile. She walked around and through all the OEM and new parts on the floor and with a worried/confused look on her face, then says "let me get this straight, you are replacing new parts with new parts?" I just sit there with a dumb look on my face and say "um...yeah" Then she gets all narrow eyed on me and says "whats wrong with you?" shakes her head and walks away...
I have 9000 miles on these tires and if I wish to remain married, I will be replacing the wheels and tires when the tires are worn out. I only live seven miles from work. I might put 20 miles a day on the car...
vixr,

When you explain it like that, it's much more understandable haha. I suggest staying married and waiting until the tires wear out as well. Even if it takes a while, it'll be worth it!

Lucky for me, I've gotten past the "replacing new parts with new parts?!" stage with my gf. Now she just asks when I'm coming back inside from the garage to hang out, but somehow I keep finding new "issues" that need to be addressed immediately..

Shane
Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 PM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

"She walked around and through all the OEM and new parts on the floor and with a worried/confused look on her face, then says "let me get this straight, you are replacing new parts with new parts?" I just sit there with a dumb look on my face and say "um...yeah" Then she gets all narrow eyed on me and says "whats wrong with you?" shakes her head and walks away..."

Lol! Funny post, vixr! I can definitely empathize...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
I think my wife is your wife's twin sister. My car's just two years old and I want to do an engine swap. You can imagine the reaction I got...