Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Cats are cut out of mine and I run Borla Stingers, the sound is super nice!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I have a wall of trophies to show all the automatic haters out there. I love lining up with them against a pro tree and running the number. F them Razr
I really wish I knew why the word 'hate' keeps being thrown up by those who prefer the automatic.

Or did I miss where it was redefined to be a lot milder than when I learned it.

If you're going to pick specific kinds of competition, I've got a 160 HP Mazda that would show your straight line car the fast way around an autocross course (and a few trophies to back that up). IOW, what's your point?

Razor - you need to listen to as many different exhausts as you can find, in real world settings that include the way you're most apt to be driving. Nobody else can tell you what you're really going to like.

Norm
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i hate the manual mustangs...terrible to drive...noisy and clunky with crude clutches..
down right horrid to drive
auto is 1000 times smoother and quieter..never own another manual
Old 02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Wow I knew this would turn into an auto Vs manual debate, wooo hooo.
But a good exhaust will sound good no matter what.
And I'm going to suggest checking out the Pypes mid muffler, install can take a little extra time to get just right.
But they sound rowdy as hell, and even a little raspy at times, and with an off road H-pipe, WOW.
http://www.brenspeed.com/sfm66.html
Sound clip is about halfway down the page.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

I love my automatic mustang, but I also loved driving my dads 3 speed stepside truck also it sounded badass with the glasspacks he had on it especially when down shifting and hearing those glasspacks pop was awesome. So I'am for both Auto and Manual transmissions.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i love manuals
just not a mustang thanks..bmw audi merc all superb..
Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
2011P51GT
1st Gear Member

I have a Magnaflow 3" X-pipe and 3" pipes all the way back to the Magnaflow quad-tip competition mufflers. Mine flat out sounds like a race car with a really cool burble and pop on deceleration. That said, I don't think my passengers would enjoy a nice 5 hour jaunt to SoCal - she is pretty loud. My next change will be long tube headers, cat delete, and a 100 octane race tune (to go with my 91 octane DD tune). I expect pretty close to 600 rwhp and some pretty pissed off neighbors then. I have a manual, but it would still sound awesome with a slush box.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

When I had my 2010 auto I put on a set of flowmaster axle backs. They sounded very nice on the car and if my 08 manual didn't have the muffler deletes I would of put them on it also
Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 AM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

For me, Mustangs are like ice cream (and women, but I'll give the ice cream analogy to keep this clean.) I may have my favorite flavors, but there are not many flavors (models/transmissions/colors/wheels/etc.) that I don't like! I just bought mine used - while I would not have purchased it had it been pink, I didn't exactly get to choose its features (although it did have several features I preferred). I absolutely love it, yet I also want a '13 Boss 302, and the first thing I'd buy if I were to hit the lottery would be a Super Snake - but I'd keep my current and the Boss!

Razor - if you love your Mustang but just want a little better sound, just figure out how much hot fudge topping and whipped cream and how many sprinkles to add to suit your taste to make it better. I'm trying to figure out which exhaust to go with, too, so I understand your dilemma - good luck!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I really wish I knew why the word 'hate' keeps being thrown up by those who prefer the automatic.
It's a very common sentiment among manual fans and stems from the old days when automatics were not strong enough and took too many HP away from the real axle to run. It's just not so with many modern high performance automatics. With "Select Shift" I can downshift through the gears and get all the deceleration pop and gurgle I want. But the transmission also downshifts on its own too with the same effect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?