Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Shifter vs. MGW Shifter (LONG Comparison)

Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Default Hurst Shifter vs. MGW Shifter (LONG Comparison)

First here are the two I am doing the write up for.

1. The Hurst: http://www.americanmuscle.com/hurst-shifter-0509gt.html

2. The MGW: http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2005_shifter.shtml

If some of you remember a few weeks ago I posted that my Hurst might be starting to what I described as get "loose". So I took it apart & the small plastic pieces that go into the shifter linkage were not in the best of shape. If I remember correctly, these transfer over from the stock unit, so even when the Hurst was new, they were already used. Instead of getting replacements, I decided to try the MGW based on HUGE positive feedback from folks here that run the MGW. The MGW also bring these plastic pieces NEW with the shifter.

Before I start, I have 3 sports cars & run Hurst Shifters on ALL 3, so I like the product & have been a fan of Hurst for years! That being said, comparing the 2 above there are 3 major differences. The price is more for the MGW, but in this case, you do get what you pay for. The Hurst is a VERY capable unit, but these are the 3 major differences/advantages that the MGW has IN MY OPINION.

1. Build quality, the MGW is a billet unit. My Hurst's powder-coating had started to fall off, leaving the steel bare. This will NOT be an issue with the MGW.

2. Adjustability, plainly stated, there are 10 levels of adjustment to be had with the MGW, 1 with the Hurst. You decide how long/short the throw. If I am not mistaken as little as 15% less throw than stock up to 50% shorter than stock. The Hurst has only 1.

3. 2nd to 3rd shift. The MGW is spring loaded, so it in essence makes you better at this shift, especially when racing or speed shifting. The difference here is HUGE & make for a very smooth shift into 3rd.

*Some other nice features are: soundproof material included with MGW (My Hurst would rattle), Adjustable height of shift **** & position, install video with step by step & written instructions. Finally I got a personal phone call from MGW with the build date & expected delivery of my shifter.

Overall, both are good quality items, YES the MGW is more expensive, but in my opinion it is a superior product. Hope this helps anyone thinking of upgrading their shifter.

Mike
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter

I installed an MGW shifter as one of the first mods to my 2006 GT 'vert. I have been driving with it for about 6-7 years and nearly 100,000 miles. The shifter feels every bit as good (if not better) as it did when I first installed it. MGW really is in a class by itself.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

I cannot wait to get my hands on the MGW shifter. Heard so much about it. Sounds like an awesome must-have lol. How easy is it to adjust the shift throws and height?
Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
I cannot wait to get my hands on the MGW shifter. Heard so much about it. Sounds like an awesome must-have lol. How easy is it to adjust the shift throws and height?
The shift height is EASY!!! The throw is easy as well, but you do have to go under the car to adjust. The install video is awesome & will answer all your questions!!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I have a feeling the Hurst would be a lot better quality if it was USA made. Unfortunately it is not. I really like the looks of it but I can tell it will physically wear out in a couple more years.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I've never driven the 2 listed her on S197s but I do have the TriAx. Steeda once again impresses me with their product. Set the stops so you can't jam too hard and its awesome. It does only have 2 options (low/tall)for the handle height, unless you get an additional handle available for a different angle. IIRC it's a 35%ish reduction in throw and the 2-3 shift is also spring loaded. It's also all billet and made in the US! I love it!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Great write up! You're talking about two of the best Shifter Options for the Mustang. I have been weighing out the options when it comes to shifters. I have it narrowed down to a Barton Shifter or MGW. Your review is very convincing!

-Dan
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Great write up! You're talking about two of the best Shifter Options for the Mustang. I have been weighing out the options when it comes to shifters. I have it narrowed down to a Barton Shifter or MGW. Your review is very convincing!

-Dan
Thanks Dan!!! I also looked at the Barton, I'm sure that is a very quality piece as well!!

Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

-Dan
Is there any chance you guys would start selling the MGW?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vader, when you installed the shifter shaft in the bracket, did you let the shaft drop all the way until it hit the boot or did you raise it a 1/2 inch or so and then install? I recently installed one and could never figure out where the height should be set as it seemed to hit the shifter itself in 2,4,R just like the video stated. Now, the shift **** seems a little higher than I expected it to be and I just want some assurance from someone else that has recently installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter vs. MGW Shifter (LONG Comparison)