Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about a "chip" I bought

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 PM
danielson08stang

Default Questions about a "chip" I bought

So I bought this chip and it says to plug it straight into my IAT sensor and put electrical tape over it without plugging it back in. How safe does this sound and where is my IAT sensor located? I have a 2008 V6. Also below is a picture of the so called "chip."
Attached Thumbnails Questions about a "chip" I bought-img_0308-1-.jpg  
Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 PM
JimC

And what do you expect that "chip" to do? I hope you didn't pay too much for the Radio Shack resistor they sent you. It is supposed to fool the MAF as to what the true IAT is - are you sure you want to rely upon a cheap resistor to keep your car safe and let it run leaner than conditions warrant based upon your tune?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I would get your money back, immediately. Hope you didn't pay a lot of money for that, it's trash, completely unusable for your car if I'm honest. So you put it into the IAT, cover it with electrical tape but don't plug it into anything? Yeah it's a hoax if that's true.

You need an SCT Tuner in order to tune these cars (or something similar), if you want a tune/chip. Something like this:

Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

This can't possibly be for real and I'm not even talking about the chip. This is the same guy who posted about installing an ebay CAI and turbonator. This guy's got to be trolling. JimC, you're a much more tolerant man than I.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:41 PM
danielson08stang

to spartan VI. yeah I am the same guy so what? I don't know what you're talking about a turbonator I did have a tornado fuel saver but that's it. sorry not all of us have tons of money to spend on expensive car parts. fu#&*($ jacka@

Last edited by danielson08stang; 02-17-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

If this is serious, don't install this so-called chip or the fuel saver thing. And from now on do a simple Google search on anything you're thinking of buying.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danielson08stang
to spartan VI. yeah I am the same guy so what? I don't know what you're talking about a turbonator I did have a tornado fuel saver but that's it.
The tornado fuel saver is another name for the infamous turbonator; they're analogous.

sorry not all of us have tons of money to spend on expensive car parts. fu#&*($ jacka@
If you're legitimately posting here for help and not just yanking our chains, then I'm simply amazed. You clearly have money to spend on things that do not work and even risk damaging your car. By posting here, we know that you at least have an Internet connection, so you really should be doing research before throwing away money on these trinkets.

That is why I'm so skeptical about your post. How can someone who's so conscious about spending tell us about his $0.50 resistor, a "tornado fuel saver," and ebay CAI and then say didn't know they were useless? Blows my mind if you're serious, and that's why I feel it's more likely that you're trolling MF.

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 02-17-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Chips are for eating. We retune our Stangs.

Use your PC and research before you do ANYTHING. Yeah, you're being flamed but learn from this and move on. There are many, many here that would have told you honestly about that.... thing.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

The resistor is a 'legit' work around. If you want to call it that. All it does is fool your car into thinking the temperature is colder and dumping more fuel.

I wouldn't trust it to add power, or do anything really, but it isn't going to blow your car up.

The theory is that your IAT gives X resistance based on Y temperature, so plugging the resistor in fools the ECU into thinking that the IAT is reading Y temperature.

But yeah, you got taken. That is a about a $0.05 Radio Shack resistor, and it won't add any real power.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Yup, exactly right. All the resistor does is make your car think it's cold so the computer gives it extra fuel - kind of like driving with the choke on. I've read about these things before too. Hope you didn't spend a lot for it.

Quick Reply: Questions about a "chip" I bought