Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few questions on octane and additives

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt
So, you're telling me that I'm wasting my money using premium in my '13 5.0 and that I'm making less power than I would if I ran 87?
no because Ford recommends premium for the 5.0. If you run 87 you won't hurt anything but you won't make rated power (probably dials back the timing a bit to prevent pre-ignition.)

Originally Posted by daredevil95
An octane that is to high will cause issues, back in the late 90's I had a stock Camaro SS and I put in $40 bucks worth of 104 octane at the race track and within a day my check engine light came on and I ruined my oxygen sensors and had to replace them so, high octane could cause havoc on some parts. The car ran a little bit crisper with the high octane but, not worth the damage it caused me.
It most likely wasn't the octane rating per se that caused your problem, but the additives used to get the fuel to 104. Leaded race gas can still be sold, as well as with MMT. Lead will and MMT can foul O2 sensors and catalysts.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
no because Ford recommends premium for the 5.0. If you run 87 you won't hurt anything but you won't make rated power (probably dials back the timing a bit to prevent pre-ignition.)

It most likely wasn't the octane rating per se that caused your problem, but the additives used to get the fuel to 104. Leaded race gas can still be sold, as well as with MMT. Lead will and MMT can foul O2 sensors and catalysts.
Lol, I know. The 5.0 makes all it's power on premium. It's only rated at 402hp and 377tq on 87. I think this guy was trying to tell me, otherwise. I always use premium when my car calls for it. I'm tuned now so it don't matter, lol.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

lol....it was unleaded, I'm sure of that. I was younger back then and wanted the new car to do well on the track so, I intended to put only $4 bucks worth of high octane....to boost it up a little but, I misread the gas pump and put $40 bucks in and it pretty much filled the tank...sh*t....but, not much I could do because the track is in NJ and I live in CT a 2 hr drive away, the car actually ran fantastic, very crisp and then the next day i was either going to work or coming home from work and the engine light came on and the dreaded codes left bank and right bank 02 codes were on....I guarantee it was the high octane but, lesson learned.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I guarantee it was the high octane
And how are you going to do that?

Like I alluded to, there are other additives to boost octane rating (like MMT) which aren't lead but can trash O2 sensors.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

And how are you going to do that?

Like I alluded to, there are other additives to boost octane rating (like MMT) which aren't lead but can trash O2 sensors.
Dude....are you ok or are you taking medicine? it's the high octane gas and whatever the *** is in it. If you wanna break it down scientifically to what exact substance/elements and how it corresponds to the periodic table of elements is ok with me and please post, I'll read it but, I'm not worried about what it is exactly in the gas....it's gas at the race tracks and whether you buy it here or there it's gonna be close to or the same ingredients depending on lead or unleaded. You may be a bit to analytical but, have fun and research. Since you like to discuss fuel ingredients how many different mixes are out there for 104 octane unleaded and what are there availability to the high octane consumer. Please post and I'm sure we will both be amused!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Dude....are you ok or are you taking medicine? it's the high octane gas and whatever the *** is in it. If you wanna break it down scientifically to what exact substance/elements and how it corresponds to the periodic table of elements is ok with me and please post, I'll read it but, I'm not worried about what it is exactly in the gas....it's gas at the race tracks and whether you buy it here or there it's gonna be close to or the same ingredients depending on lead or unleaded. You may be a bit to analytical but, have fun and research. Since you like to discuss fuel ingredients how many different mixes are out there for 104 octane unleaded and what are there availability to the high octane consumer. Please post and I'm sure we will both be amused!
Uhm, if it wasn't leaded gasoline, it was probably using ethanol to get the octane up, and that can gum up the works depending on type of fuel filters and what shape the gas tank is in. But lad will kill oxygen sensors quicker than just about anything else.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

"Octane" is a measurement of resistance to detonation, period. The higher the number, the more resistance. Additives are used to increase that resistance. If the use of higher octane gas fouls things, then it is caused by the additives that were in that particular gasoline. Use of high quality unleaded race fuel (i.e. VP, etc) will not hurt O2 sensors or converters.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Lead killed your O2 sensors. You F'd up, paid the lesson and moved on.

Torco is a very effective octane booster. It will tinge the sparkplugs red.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:43 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

so for people who are against additives and etc - what do they recommend to clear out carbon and sludge?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
so for people who are against additives and etc - what do they recommend to clear out carbon and sludge?
If you maintain your car, there should be no carbon or sludge to clean out. If you do have carbon/sludge problems, it's going to take far more than dumping a can of junk in your gas tank or crankcase to fix it.

Quick Reply: few questions on octane and additives