Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how often do you do fuel filter and tranny flush?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

For me, I change my fuel filter each Spring and tranny fluid/rad coolant once every 2 years
Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Manual says replace tranny fluid every 30k miles, so does that mean just change the fluid or do a complete flush + change filter?

I called dealer and they want 200$ just to change tranny fluid not including filter...

Called our local shops and they won't touch my tranny said I gotta go to the dealer...
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

You should but the PA deep tranny pan from American muscle. It allows you to change your tranny and check it with a dipstick so then you can actually keep an eye on the level. You can change it yourself as it stands now but you wont get it all out. I believe there is some tool that has to be used. Its retarded thus the reason why I went with the Pan I have now
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I like to do fuel filters and trans flushes every 30k on my daily drivers. Transmissions are not cheap to replace, and a $200 flush beats a $2,000+ trans any day of the week in my book. Like one of the other posters stated after doing a trans flush on my daily driver it shifted significantly better.

This is definitely one of those topics where you ask 100 people, and get 110 different responses. You are ultimately going to have to do what makes you comfortable and what fits your budget.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
Manual says replace tranny fluid every 30k miles, so does that mean just change the fluid or do a complete flush + change filter? I called dealer and they want 200$ just to change tranny fluid not including filter... Called our local shops and they won't touch my tranny said I gotta go to the dealer...
I'm not sure about flushing/filter but changing the fluid is definitely not $200 just do it by yourself. It's pretty easy. There is a How To somewhere on here or on google for our cars. I did it without problems.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

my GT has about 36k mileage atm and I saw that at 30k it recommended fuel filter and tranny flush...

Will I be okay if I wait to 50k to do the fuel filter and tranny flush or is it really important to do it now? how often do you do fuel filter + tranny flush?
Tranny flush at 30K. If you wait until 50K it will require you changing the filter assembly out too. Also, at 50K you could be getting excess wear on the tranny from slipping and garbage floating around.

Fuel filter every 10-15K.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
I'm not sure about flushing/filter but changing the fluid is definitely not $200 just do it by yourself. It's pretty easy. There is a How To somewhere on here or on google for our cars. I did it without problems.
There is a difference between flushing and just draining/refilling.

Ford Flushes the system meaning they hook up a machine at your tranny cooler that literally pumps clean fluid through the entire system. They stop flushing the clean stuff through when it starts coming back into the machine clean. This method gets ALL of the fluid flushed/cleaned out.

When you do it you are just draining and refilling. You are not emptying the Converter nor are you getting out the built up crud in the tranny cooler. You only get about half or two-thirds of all the fluid. This means your fresh clean fluid will look the same as it did in less than half the time than if you had it flushed properly...
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Manual says replace tranny fluid every 30k miles, so does that mean just change the fluid or do a complete flush + change filter?

I called dealer and they want 200$ just to change tranny fluid not including filter...

Called our local shops and they won't touch my tranny said I gotta go to the dealer...
These cars are meant to have a 'lifetime' filter (think of the K&N reusable air filters, same type of concept, clean and reuse).

If you have the flush done from the dealer, this cleans out the crap stuck on the filter meaning the filter doesn't need to get replaced until over 100K-150K.

If you simply drain and refill, you will want to replace that filter around 60K because none of the crap will be removed.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I just did a trans fluid/filter "change" at 87k miles (auto). I think I had it done sometime around 30k as well. I was back in the shop as the tech drained it.. the fluid still looked pretty good, was still a pink-ish color. It was a little shiny though, and there was a light coating of metallic substance on the magnet/pan, but just tiny metallic flakes and no "shavings". I'll never do a full flush on the trans in fear it might wash out any built up gunk and get lodged somewhere in the trans where it shouldn't and cause **** to hit the fan.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I do the fuel filter every 10-15k, cheap part, easy to swap, and doesn't hurt it.

Quick Reply: how often do you do fuel filter and tranny flush?