Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes xpipe w/cat deletes leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Default Pypes xpipe w/cat deletes leaking...

I purchased a set of Pypes xpipes and cat deletes for my 14 GT mustang and instal was fairly simple with only a jack stand and patience. But once fired up... I heated the tell take "ticking" sound of an exhaust leak. I took the car to a shop the day after install and they hooked up a "smoker" that basically blows colored smoke into the exhaust while idling, plugging the exhaust outlets momentarily and where ever the leak is, the smoke comes out.

Turns out the leak is at the junction where the cat deletes and the Pypes xpipe mate. The delete pipes seem to have a "female part" that is too big for the "male part". Even with the factory clamps re used as per the instructions, it has created a leak on BOTH sides. Grrrrr. I didn't expect an issue with parts that all came in the same box. Now what?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xann27
I purchased a set of Pypes xpipes and cat deletes for my 14 GT mustang and instal was fairly simple with only a jack stand and patience. But once fired up... I heated the tell take "ticking" sound of an exhaust leak. I took the car to a shop the day after install and they hooked up a "smoker" that basically blows colored smoke into the exhaust while idling, plugging the exhaust outlets momentarily and where ever the leak is, the smoke comes out.

Turns out the leak is at the junction where the cat deletes and the Pypes xpipe mate. The delete pipes seem to have a "female part" that is too big for the "male part". Even with the factory clamps re used as per the instructions, it has created a leak on BOTH sides. Grrrrr. I didn't expect an issue with parts that all came in the same box. Now what?
Get them welded at the leaking junctions. With everything in place on the car and at the correct levels put some stitch welds around the junction. Then remove the whole pipe and give it a good bead all of the way around. Hit it with some paint after welding to prevent corrosion. I just installed BBK Cat Delete and X-pipe that were welded together because of the same problem that you are having.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Kinda wanted to stay away from welding them as I may need to put the cats back on due to emissions. If I go to DEQ for a smog test (Phoenix Az) I need to have em... Other options?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are experiencing putting these in, I imagine it is pretty frustrating.

It would sound to me that the machining was not properly done on one of the pipes. Pypes is usually pretty reasonable, and they generally stand behind their products. I would get in touch with them and see if it has been a common issue or if they will send you new pipes. Also, you may want to get in touch with the place you ordered them from, they are supposed to be a bolt on job, so if they require welding, they are either defective or not as advertised.

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Kinda wanted to stay away from welding them as I may need to put the cats back on due to emissions. If I go to DEQ for a smog test (Phoenix Az) I need to have em... Other options?
I have to go through emissions as well. I saved the cats and stock h-pipe to bolt it back on when I need to get emissions testing. Welding the cat delete pipe to your x-pipe doesn't make it much harder to get the pipe out of your car IMO. From the reviews I have seen, it seems like the cat delete pipes leak like you describe pretty frequently.

Without welding, your only other option is to go to pypes and hope that they get you a set that doesn't leak.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

@dan w/American muscle. I ordered the Pypes xpipe from American muscle last week. I got it and a grill.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:23 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

they're highly known for having this issue.

best option is a lethal OR pipe or Jeg's cat deletes
Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Well I can't just get new ones and return these. Anyone ever used that universal gasket putty stuff? Another mechanic told me about it and how it's perfect for this type of situation. Better than welding, scrape it off when/if I need to reinstall cats.

Also, will adding reaonators inline decrease performance? Or just make it quieter? Change the sound completely? With no cats, and the xpipe, AND the kooks axle backs..... It's kinda too loud for my personal preference.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Well I can't just get new ones and return these. Anyone ever used that universal gasket putty stuff? Another mechanic told me about it and how it's perfect for this type of situation. Better than welding, scrape it off when/if I need to reinstall cats.

Also, will adding resonators inline decrease performance? Or just make it quieter? Change the sound completely? With no cats, and the xpipe, AND the kooks axle backs..... It's kinda too loud for my personal preference.
Never used gasket putty. Don't think that I ever would on an exhaust. Sounds like a band-aid solution for a cut that needs stitches.

I am assuming that you have a catback system with the resonators removed? The 5.0 has 2 resonators, stock, after the mid-pipe in front of the rear axle. Based on what you described, you still have them installed. Adding resonators won't change the sound drastically. It might quiet it down a little bit. THey are meant to reduce drone. They should be staggered so that the sound waves are broken up at different points in the exhaust system.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

the only exhaust bolt ons i have are the Pypes cat deletes, the pypes X pipe, and Kooks Axleback mufflers. the mid pipe AFTER the x pipe is still stock. had a few different mechanics/exhaust engineers look at it, and the mid pipe is 2.75" stock. I was told going with a full cat back system is best, but bang for the buck, cant beat an x pipe and axlebacks. saved about $400 and sacrificed roughly 3 horsepower. the math to me is right on. so im confident in my choice.

As for the exhaust leaks, Ive contacted Pypes, and they are now requiring pictures of where its leaking as their engineers are telling me the xpipe is a direct match to the cat delete pipes and there shouldnt be any leaks what so ever. I feel like they are telling me "Prove it" that i have a poor fitting x pipe and cat deletes. BUT they DID say that they'd ship out new parts free if the problem is actual and it IS indeed a poor fitment.