Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for new headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
IIRC, the Silverstars are 4000K and the Ultras are 4100K. I ran the Silverstars in my SUV's before the Ultras hit the market and they burned out about once a year. I also have the Silverstars in my Stang, having installed them also before the Ultras came out but since the Stang isn't my DD and not often driven at night, the Silverstars have been in since 2007 without a burnout. However, I preferred them so much over the stock lamps (3500K-3800K on average) that I put up with the burn-outs in the SUV's and was fine replacing them. I've since installed the Ultras in the SUV (about 5 years ago without a burn out)and will eventually install them in the Stang. I consider the Ultras to have a tad superior color while still not being that terribly annoying "beyond white".
Wait, your Ultras lasted longer than regular silverstars?? I thought they ultras have a shorter life span - it even says so on the box lol...but if they do last longer then I'll definitely go for them!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yes, I have had the Ultras in my current SUV since 2009 and it's my DD. I drive to work every morning in the dark nearly all year and it's also driven a lot at night. My previous SUV had the original Silverstars and those burned out every 12-18 months.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I believe Ultras are supposed to last a bit longer than standard Silverstars.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Well, let's examine that statement^. I have a Hi/Lo kit from RetroSolutions that I have been driving with, totally trouble free, for 100,000 miles. During that time I have fantastic headlights, and have been flashed maybe 3 times. I've never touched any part of the system. No such thing? BS.
You've "only" been flashed 3 times? And you think this is a good thing?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

I have a Kensun HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit that I bought from Amazon. Great color/good visibility. Never been flashed. My bulbs are capped. Only thing I dislike is the bulb design because when on high beam the bulb bounces around in the housing which bounces the light which is annoying. However, I hardly use my high beams and only if no other cars are present anyway.

I know HID haters frown upon it because of it not being proper for halogen housings but I've had no issues with anything, including other people. Much better than even the brightest halogen bulb on the market, IMO.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I know HID haters frown upon it because of it not being proper for halogen housings but I've had no issues with anything, including other people.
you know this how? They irritate the hell out of me, but I don't bother "flashing" anyone running them because the self-centered douche driving it won't even understand why.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Two of my cars are currently running Silverstar Ultras. Can't even remember when I last had to replace one.

About HIDs - they're as good as their pattern and your ability to aim them, but no better. They are somewhat more likely to provide uneven lighting, in which case staggering the right and left side headlight aim will help - right side aimed slightly higher than the left (a good thing to try even with the halogens).

Norm
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Diode Dynamics
Sponsor

Our HID conversion kits have laser aligned bulbs that put the arc location in a very similar position to the halogen filament in your factory bulb. This means the factory housing will be utilized better and although the HID's generate more light, they won't create excessive glare.

Additionally, our kits use a 35 watt ballast which is much safer to operate than some of the 55 watt kits on the market that create excessive glare and put other drivers at risk.

The silverstars may be slightly whiter, and maybe 100+ lumens brighter than your factory bulbs, but our HID conversion kits produce between 3,000 and 3,200 lumens.

Obviously a retro-fitted projector will provide the least amount of glare and the attractive cut off lines, but you won't be putting other drivers at risk with our kit.

If you want to learn more about lighting technology in general, I strongly encourage you to visit the new "Research" section on our website: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/research.html

I have our 6000K HID conversion kit in my 2007 GT, and I can honestly say I have never been flashed for it.

Feel free to call us if you need more information: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

I have some amazon hids at 4000k. They are 55 watt and hi low still. They are way brighter then stock not even comparable. Some day ill get some projectors for them. I get flashed all the time, but I live in a area that has a 55+ town near by and lots of snow birds that think their better then everyone that has money. Not saying that's the reason I get flashed but have had to many very bad run ins at stores with elderly that think because their older then me I owe them something. Most times when flashed and I hit my Hi beams they will continually flash there's till I turn them to low again. Hids are the only way now days to get a good bright light it seems. Just don't go cheap when buying your kit and you will be fin.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clix813
I have some amazon hids at 4000k. They are 55 watt and hi low still. They are way brighter then stock not even comparable. Some day ill get some projectors for them. I get flashed all the time, but I live in a area that has a 55+ town near by and lots of snow birds that think their better then everyone that has money. Not saying that's the reason I get flashed but have had to many very bad run ins at stores with elderly that think because their older then me I owe them something. Most times when flashed and I hit my Hi beams they will continually flash there's till I turn them to low again. Hids are the only way now days to get a good bright light it seems. Just don't go cheap when buying your kit and you will be fin.
Obviously I can't comment on the pattern that your lights are throwing out there. At least the color temperature of yours is not the blue appearance that many older drivers really dislike. My Dad (RIP) absolutely hated them before he gave up night time driving entirely.

But you do need to realize that older eyes are more sensitive to glare or bright areas against a generally dark background, and take longer to recover from it. You'll find out for yourself eventually.

Norm

Quick Reply: time for new headlight bulbs