Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete cooling system flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Question Complete cooling system flush

I have a new radiator coming in in the next few days. I want to do a cooling system flush while I am at it. My car just hit 150k miles, I'm sure it could use it. Trying to get my ducks in a row before I begin. Have a few questions:

1. Can I run a garden hose to just the upper hose while the car is running and let it drain out of the bottom one? (while watching the temperature of course) And will this also reach the lines for the automatic transmission?

2. Engine block drain plugs: Does anyone know the locations of these on a 4.0 and the exact tools (and sizes if applicable) that I need to remove them?

3. After doing a few searches, I have seen people recommend running some type of detergent through the system during the flush. Opinions?

If anyone has some other tips and recommendations, please share them.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

1. Can I run a garden hose to just the upper hose while the car is running and let it drain out of the bottom one? (while watching the temperature of course) And will this also reach the lines for the automatic transmission?
thats what i always do

3. After doing a few searches, I have seen people recommend running some type of detergent through the system during the flush. Opinions?
I don't recommend it, those chemicals can cause leaks in the coolant reservoir, just drain/rinse it out and you should be okay.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by defiance
I have a new radiator coming in in the next few days. I want to do a cooling system flush while I am at it. My car just hit 150k miles, I'm sure it could use it. Trying to get my ducks in a row before I begin. Have a few questions:

2. Engine block drain plugs: Does anyone know the locations of these on a 4.0 and the exact tools (and sizes if applicable) that I need to remove them?

If anyone has some other tips and recommendations, please share them.
1) Best way is to t-into one of the Heater hose lines. That will get your entire cooling system...Scratch that. If you do the flush while the radiator is out, your way will work fine. Just be sure you remove the thermostat so that the water can flow freely and install a 180F one in there when you put it back in

2) Don't need to remove those.

3) No, detergents can be left behind in the system and the residue will mix with the radiator fluid having unknown consequences from reduced cooling to increased corrosion and other issues. Unless you have equipment that forces fluid through and allows you to monitor the condition of the fluid you are flushing out, you are flying blind with using detergents.

Last edited by Derf00; 03-13-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Don't have to run the car....just turn on the ignition, and turn on the heater to full. In-fact, I doubt is good to run the water pump without a steady stream of water.

Also helps if you have one of these...

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...it-P39625.aspx

Last edited by Roy_R; 03-13-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:04 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys! Got it flushed today. Did run the car for about 3 minutes while the water was on full blast (I used a rag to seal around the garden hose to maintain a healthy amount of water going into the water pump).

So 180 degree thermostat is fine to use in our cars? After doing research on 195 vs 180, the answers seem to be all over the place.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:36 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

In our computer controlled cars I would use what ever temp 'stat came in it from the factory, probably 195 deg.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defiance
Thanks a lot guys! Got it flushed today. Did run the car for about 3 minutes while the water was on full blast (I used a rag to seal around the garden hose to maintain a healthy amount of water going into the water pump).

So 180 degree thermostat is fine to use in our cars? After doing research on 195 vs 180, the answers seem to be all over the place.
modern engines run "hotter" by design, use whatever the factory one is.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Dont forget to run some water through your engine too to clean out all the old, dirty, oil...
Old 03-14-2014, 11:41 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

^haaaaaaaaa^

....."that" thread...
Old 03-14-2014, 12:33 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Dont forget to run some water through your engine too to clean out all the old, dirty, oil...
Should I use Tide or Oxyclean? He He, oh how Mark will always be remembered......

Quick Reply: Complete cooling system flush