Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Buying a want is different than buying a need. If you have to sweat the small stuff on a want, you probably can't truly afford it or need to be more realistic about what you can afford (or the opportunity cost of owing your want). Things like maintenance and fuel are a no brainer.

A Mustang isn't exactly fuel efficient. There again don't buy a Stang and bitch you get crappy mileage while at the same time planting your foot solidly into the floorpan at every stoplight and bragging about the Honda you blew away.

If the car requires premium fuel why buy it to bitch about it? Don't buy the car. If the car recommends premium fuel, you don't have to use it but there again, don't bitch about the reduced performance.
I think it's you who is barking up the wrong tree.

My house is paid for. My kids are grown, gone, out of college. I have no credit cards. It's just me and mama and a nearly 6 figure income. It is not about affordability. It's about wasting or not wasting money. I never bitched about performance. In fact, I said I couldn't tell any difference. @ 400+ HP, what's giving up 10 or so if you are not trying to beat a few .000 seconds on a clock? I've been using 87 octane for about a month now with zero problems. In a couple months when it warms up, I'll use 91 octane just to be on the safe side. In October, I'll switch back to 87. I think it's sad that you want to judge whether or not someone should be driving the car he drives based on what he chooses to put in the tank.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jhawkr
I think it's you who is barking up the wrong tree.

My house is paid for. My kids are grown, gone, out of college. I have no credit cards. It's just me and mama and a nearly 6 figure income. It is not about affordability. It's about wasting or not wasting money. I never bitched about performance. In fact, I said I couldn't tell any difference. @ 400+ HP, what's giving up 10 or so if you are not trying to beat a few .000 seconds on a clock? I've been using 87 octane for about a month now with zero problems. In a couple months when it warms up, I'll use 91 octane just to be on the safe side. In October, I'll switch back to 87. I think it's sad that you want to judge whether or not someone should be driving the car he drives based on what he chooses to put in the tank.
To be clear my closing comments weren't directed at you. They were made in general to those that DO bitch. That is my bad for not being more clear and making it seem like a personal attack..

Everyone (including you and me) have our own wasteful habits, mine is the fuel for my car. I run the top tier fuel with the highest octane tune because I want the performance. You run what you want but don't try to argue the merits of what you do against what I do, deal?

It's a choice.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

You run what you want but don't try to argue the merits of what you do against what I do, deal?

Deal. To clarify, I never poo-poo'd running premium in anyone's car. Only, that regular seems to run fine in cooler weather in a 2014 GT Premium and is saving me some cash that would otherwise go to the oil companies. I do similar things in my house. Insulation. I'm getting ready to replace our HVAC with a new more efficient unit this spring in an effort to save a little on my heating and cooling bills since I need to replace anyway. I won't sacrifice comfort but I don't mind savings if they are to be had. For me, losing 10hp is an acceptable compromise for the savings gained. To be totally honest, I could easily lose 100hp and still be happy as I was satisfied with my 2010 GT Premium in that regard. I won't be altering my GT either. No need for me to do that. I ordered it with every conceivable option I thought I might want. Sticker'd out @ $42700.

Might trade it for a new Vette in a couple years though.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

After I installed my tuner with 93 I actually lost a pretty good amount from 26-27 to 22-23 I'm not heavy on the foot all that much, Most of the time I'm cruising but MPG stays the same, any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

When breaking in a new car is it better to use regular or premium?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Use the recommended gas.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Premium fuel is less "explosive" than regular meaning it will resist detonation more than regular at identical degrees of advanced timing. The newer Mustangs all have variable cam timing so they can tolerate regular fuel by retarding the timing a bit. This means you lose a few HP but it in no way means it hurts your vehicle. Your car doesn't care as long as detonation (pinging) does not occur. In cooler weather, this should never be a problem. With temps up at 100F or better, it is possible. I personally decided to run regular from October to May. I'll switch to premium for the summer months.

Your car absolutely does not care as long as there is no detonation. If you want the few extra ponies, you need premium.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 AM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SkyWitit23
After I installed my tuner with 93 I actually lost a pretty good amount from 26-27 to 22-23 I'm not heavy on the foot all that much, Most of the time I'm cruising but MPG stays the same, any thoughts?
Timing advance is my guess.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default more power

Originally Posted by jhawkr
Premium fuel is less "explosive" than regular meaning it will resist detonation more than regular at identical degrees of advanced timing. The newer Mustangs all have variable cam timing so they can tolerate regular fuel by retarding the timing a bit. This means you lose a few HP but it in no way means it hurts your vehicle. Your car doesn't care as long as detonation (pinging) does not occur. In cooler weather, this should never be a problem. With temps up at 100F or better, it is possible. I personally decided to run regular from October to May. I'll switch to premium for the summer months.

Your car absolutely does not care as long as there is no detonation. If you want the few extra ponies, you need premium.
Here' still my big problem with what you and others say. I have with other vehicle combinations done dyno runs with diff. fuel grades and each time the lower octane we could run before knocks were detected made the most HP. So depending on driving conditions and tune etc. I don't agree "if you want a few extra ponies you need prem." IF you aint getting any detonation thru the programed timing curves your gonna make more power with lower octane.(and since this car does Not require Prem. Im betting they dont advance timing enough imo to get you to detonation point with stock tune) I do plan next month to make some pulls with both reg. and prem. with and without N20. so will be interesting. to see if the Mustang falls inline with other vehicles i have built and tested over the years.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default Roanstang's build

I've been running a 91 octane performance SCT "canned" tune & my mpg went from 27-28 to 22-24. If the "tune" calls for 91 use it. 93 use 93 octane, 87 use it, right? I'll soon have a custom tune from motorvationefi then I'll see if the mileage improves or whatever.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?-tn_port-lavaca-ford-004.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?