Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Were tires switched on new 2014 GT w/Track Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Razgriz 5.0

theyre more expensive because they have worse treadwear and terrible in rain with any power on..

why is an Acura cost more than a Honda, they are the same cars chassis and up with dress up and leather.

Pirelli's are just a 'higher end' (sounding) tire to the average or uneducated individual. Their tires are almost universally outdone in every category they happen to be in. Only paying for the name, came on my 14' track pack, assembled in august i believe... you're much better off with the F1's be happy lol
Old 04-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Clevor

The Pirellis might be the reason a stock Mustang can dip in the 12s in the quarter. When you do an appropriate burn out, they get sticky and hook up well. Maybe that's why Ford went with them.

What country are those Goodyears made, anyway?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
The Pirelli's are an all-season tire. The Goodyear's are a summer only tire.

Me personally, I couldn't wait to get rid of the Pirelli's. They're ok for an all-season tire, but from a performance perspective, they don't hold a candle to a decent summer tire.
The Pirellis that come on the Track Pack are the P Zeros (220 UTQG) which are a summer only tire, not an all season tire. They are the same tires that the Brembo package cars get. The P Zero Nero (400 UTQG) are the all seasons.

The Track Pack cars have the same style wheel (color might be different) as the Brembo package cars. These wheels are also 9 inches wide.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Yes that is what I thought. The car should have come with Pirelli PZero tires. The dealer I got it from (General manager) emailed me saying it could have come with the goodyears as a mistake from ford - and is also going to check with the dealership they got it from to see if they changed the tires out for some reason. This is what I think happened but would have no way to prove it. Hoping he gets back to me and at least tells me what happened and tries to make it right. Not feeling too optimistic though... not sure if I should make an issue of this still. Nothing on the ford site or the window sticker specifies a brand - only size.

Last edited by rogan01; 04-01-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 PM
DeepImpactPony

Goodyear F1's come on automatic cars. Is your car an automatic?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:47 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

The super car tire isn't a bad tire. It is also a convertible tire. I think it can handle more weight too.

IMHO, I would be more concerned about the style of the wheel. Is it correct for the package to include size? You have more tire options with a wider wheel. This is a personal choice of course but I would make them at least give me the wheels the car is supposed to come with.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks again for the kind replies - just fyi:

1. The car is a 2014 GT Premium 6-spd manual with Track Package. (The car currently in my sig is a 2012 GT Premium Automatic - it came with 19/8.5 rims and Pirellis.)

2. The 2014 I just got did come with the correct rims/wheels - they are 19/9 and part of the Brembo Brakes option included in the Track package.

3. Not extremely concerned about the tires as these seem ok - more concerned about just getting an honest answer/explanation about what happened to the Pirellis (Note: they are about $100 more per tire on Tire Rack - even if they may not necessarily be better...)

My thought is still that the original dealer switched the Pirellis with the Goodyears for some reason (it was a dealer trade to a dealer closer to me) ...

Just makes me not trust the whole thing if someone can't tell me what happened and why. i.e., did they maybe swap out anything else from the Track Package (Boss 302 radiator/oil cooler, suspension parts, etc...) before delivering to the dealer I got it from?

I am still waiting for the dealer General Manager I purchased it from to get back to me with an answer - he is supposedly trying to find out.

Will definitely reflect this in my Ford survey if not resolved or at least explained satisfactorily.

Thanks again to all for your replies and feedback!! I really appreciate your opinions on this.

Last edited by rogan01; 04-02-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Get in touch with the Ford Customer Service forum rep...they're really good about helping in situations like this. Pretty sure they're on this forum, I know they are over on AFM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Clevor

Frankly if it was me, I'd be pissed. Because I expected the $350 Z-rated Pirellis as part of the Track Pack on my 2013 GT Premium, regardless of their shortcomings. I have never even owned Z-rated tires in the past, nor Pirellis. And I certainly would not dole out $350 per tire. I used to put my money into drivetrain and engine, e.g. H-beam forged rods, forged pistons, Clevite bearings, Jesel shaft mounted rockers, ported heads, etc.

The only thing I can think of is they swapped the tires to please some other customer, probably an auto owner. The dealer can come back with no specific tire is specified on the Track Pack according to the window sticker. It's not on the invoice when I bought my car either.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by rogan01
Hi All,

I just traded my 2012 GT Premium automatic for a 2014 GT Premium 6-spd with GT Track Package. This came with Brembos. It was a dealer trade from a dealer about 80 miles away,

I picked it up yesterday but just noticed today that it came with Goodyear F1 255/40/19 tires instead of Pirelli Pzero 255/40/19. The picture of the car on the original dealer site clearly showed Pirelli Pzeros on the car - as I have had on all my previous GTs with 19" tires. ...
Let me look into this for you, rogan01. PM me with your VIN.

Originally Posted by hootie_john
Get in touch with the Ford Customer Service forum rep...they're really good about helping in situations like this. Pretty sure they're on this forum, I know they are over on AFM.
Thank you for the mention, hootie_john! I’m on here as well.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Were tires switched on new 2014 GT w/Track Pack?