Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to lower my convt

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Definitely wouldn't cut or heat the stock springs. Just drop $180 on the SR springs from american muscle. Install is pretty straightforward. Nothing too complicated. If you can change brake pads, you can do this.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

No, do not go the ghetto/ricer heat the springs route. It destroys their tensile qualities, plus it's extremely difficult to destroy them evenly.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:33 AM
cedarmn
1st Gear Member

So I have decided to get the springs from American muscle once I qualif for my discount. I just hope I'm one of the lucky ones that gets away with just doing the springs...

Last question, would anyone buy used springs or not bother?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr

Keep in mind when lowering that there is more to it than putting springs on the car. Depending on how much you lower it, you may need: Panhard bar for centering the axle. Upper Control Arm for adjusting pinion angle. Camber plates for front alignment. Struts and shocks to smooth the ride. The suspension supposedly becomes bouncy on the stock struts and shocks.

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
None of those parts are necessary. I'm lowered 1.5 inches with no panhard bar and the rear is aligned good. Camber bolts were $25 and my alignment guy said they weren't even needed. 88k miles. The ride is rough but it's a sports car.
Key phrase here being, Depending on how much you lower it, you may need!

It may not have been necessary for your application, just like a Panhard bar wasn't necessary for mine.

I merely wanted to inform the OP that there's more to it than springs.

I recommend reading this, Pay particular attention to F1fans posts, they are very informative!

Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT

If it were me doing it, knowing what I know now. I'd choose the springs then check suspension geometry after they're installed to see if I'd need to correct anything. Some things I would do just because I have it apart, like strut mounts/camber plates. When I installed the Roush springs, I installed adjustable shocks and struts at the same time because it was recommended in the thread I linked.

I also think that if you were to get some adjustable shocks and struts, you'd see definite improvement in your ride.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with used springs, I guess it would depend on why they were removed. As long as they haven't been damaged in any way, I'd go for it.

Last edited by waykooljr; 04-01-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM
cedarmn
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I was thinking of going buy my local wrecker shop to see about springs off of a totaled car and a Shelby spoiler. Although for $200 AM has springs new. Who knows maybe they have a vortec or a shelby blower for me.... Fingers crossed, dreaming..lol
Old 04-02-2014, 06:28 PM
08blkvert

My advice was I used Steeda sport linear springs, ride sucked and was popping in the back. Steeda them selves said I should try boss springs for the rear. They were more concentric, meaning would tight on the bottom, more open on the top.

They have two types and you want the concentric, meaning like this:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-lo...2013/p/CS8220/

I used Koni struts, the STRs and not real happy with the rear end yet. I have Koni yellows for the rear and hven't got them installed yet.

I have a pan head bar and my vert did shift to the right.

Just my experience so far. I'm going to the last pieces of the puzzle and have lower control arms and mounts waiting to get installed.