Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 GT aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Azstang2014

Default 2014 GT aftermarket wheels

I am looking to get a new set of wheels for my ride but I'm not to sure if 20x8.5 & 20x10 staggered set will work with no issue on my car. I don't want to mess with suspension or clearance, just wanted to see if anyone else has 20's on a 2014 and if you have any issues with yours.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

20"s are perfectly fine. I've had 20"s on for the last year or so. Over the last 10 years we've been trying to carry the best and brightest wheel companies, and the end result is a large amount of wheels we can get for your Mustang. Feel free to send me a message on what you're looking for in particular. Here's a shot of my car with 20" CF10's from Forgestar:

Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Hey I'm in AZ as well. No issues with 20s. The roads out here are pretty good, well if you are phoenix. The roads in Tucson suck. You'll be fine. I'd get some springs though. Makes a world of difference in the stance as well as handling. If you go with the Eibach Pro Kit you don't really need any thing else but the springs. They recommend the panhard bar but I didnt need it. I used the OEM shocks and mounts and have had zero issues for the last 25k. I didnt even get an alignment and my tires are still good.

I know some people go all out on suspension but I think its unnecessary. I'd stay away from suspension mods too if it cost over a grand for new dampeners, LCAs, UCAs, sway bars, etc. Not really necessary for a daily. You can just get some springs and call it a day.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Azstang2014
I am looking to get a new set of wheels for my ride but I'm not to sure if 20x8.5 & 20x10 staggered set will work with no issue on my car. I don't want to mess with suspension or clearance, just wanted to see if anyone else has 20's on a 2014 and if you have any issues with yours.
The only thing about wheels 10" and narrower that you need be concerned with is the offsets. Don't stray too far from +42 or +43 with either of the widths you're looking at and you should be fine with any reasonable tire sizes. Reasonable here means not trying to squeeze tire sizes that don't include 8.5" or 10" in their recommended widths onto those wheels, and not choosing tires that are a LOT taller then the stock tires, which are about 27" tall.

Understand that going to a staggered tire size setup will tend to make the car feel a little less nimble and a little less willing to take corners hard, if those are things that matter to you or that you'd notice.

Lowering is outside OP's scope at least at this point, so any discussion of suspension mods is premature. But since the topic has been cracked open, once you start swapping suspension components, there are a few good "stopping points". Springs by themselves isn't one of those. The OE dampers aren't up to the task of properly controlling the stiffer rates of virtually all aftermarket springs, including FRPP, and the resulting camber may be too aggressive for any given individual's driving. Hence, anybody interested in lowering would be best advised to do springs, struts/shocks, and camber correction (plates, please) at the same time. The need for other supporting mods to suit axle centering, LCAs and their inclination, front and rear sta-bars for handling balance purposes, and so forth can generally be put on a "wait and see" basis as long as the amount of lowering isn't too much.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-01-2014 at 08:02 AM.