Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust Combination

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 AM
Musty12

Default Best Exhaust Combination

Hey Guys,

I just bought my 2012 3.7 Mustang and planning to buy a new performance exhaust kit.
this is my first mustang so i don't have any experience in what is the best exhaust combination for a v6 mustang.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Maybe start by trying to describe how you want it to sound. Keep in mind that it is not possible to give it the same uneven, rumbly, slightly choppy sound of a V8, no matter what you do.

Norm
Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

I'll put up a sound byte after this weekend....

But I went with ....

Magnaflow Tru-X Off road, Magnaflow Competition Cat back. And the Ghost Cam tune from BAMA. Personally I love it. The wife can't stand it, which kinda makes me feel like I made the right choice since it keeps her out of my car. ;-)

Prior to that I had the Magnaflow Street Cat Back. Which is a chambered setup. I prefer the straight thru glasspacks. Sounds Meaner and all business. And when the compliment is "Dude that car sounds Awesome" "wicked exhaust" or "That sounds built"... then I kinda think I nailed it.

---

Then again that is my opinion.

this topic is open to a lot of opinion.

Just sayin.

---
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

While not a full setup, the Borla S-Type axlebacks are great. Not too loud, but others will know you're coming. No interior drone at all and relatively quiet while cruising. AM will price match so shop around for the best price. They have the best CS IMO so I bought mine from them.

Not my car but this is one video that helped me decide:

Others have gone Roush axleback and added resonators. Too raspy/poppy for my taste.

Last edited by BKamp613; 04-10-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Musty12

thanx guys that really helped, though am looking for a performance system that would gain me some HP with a bit of loudness.
am planning to get the magnaflow competition catback exhaust with a ford racing x-pipes as a first step.
what do u guys think of that?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Depends on the diameter of the x-pipes..... The Magnaflow catbacks and a good x-pipe will net you maybe 15 HP with a tune. If you drop the cats maybe 30HP with a tune. Magnaflow has posted gains on their website. I felt the Beast effect after I installed the off road x-pipes. I can't imagine driving with anything less now.

I'll add .... It sounds mean. Angry... And when you rev match and downshift it's just a burbling symphony of "bring it on baby".

---
Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The way Ford designs all of the Stang engines, you'll gain little to no performance; just improved exhaust note. I don't know if LT headers on the 3.7L does much for performance but that MIGHT be your best bet for performance gains with exhaust work.

There are better performance gains to be had; a custom tune for one...
Old 04-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Magnaflow is claiming a 10% increase in most applications that replace the exhaust from the Cat back to the muffler. Just sayin. I know with the ECU's on modern cars you don't really benefit from less exhaust restriction unless you apply a tune that takes advantage of it. But, old school methods always show HP increases with a free flowing less restricted exhaust, but in the old days...you tuned the car's timing, air/fuel mixture and CFM intake to make the best of the free flowing exhaust. With computers linked to the cars today...you need to program a tune in much the same way we did it old school with screwdrivers, busted knuckles and elbow grease...

So with a proper tune and even dropping the catalytics... you should experience a significant and noticeable increase in HP/Torque gains.

I think this is what Nuke meant by how Ford and most auto manufacturers today "ENGINEER" their offerings.

Add a less restricted intake to compliment that exhaust and you'll fair even better.

---
Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

When I was ready to do my exhaust I listened to tons of products, formed some opinions and then sought out some experts. One guy was an old hot rodder 60+ yr. Old guy who does custom exhaust, seriously epic awesome cars. A 5 car garage full of rods and more than hundred trophies. I told d him what I wanted to achieve...

- Deep rumble if possible
- No 350z sound...ever
- A bit raspy
- And that really cool back pressure sound "burble" when slowly shifting through the gears

This was his advice...

Dont get headers for a street car/daily driver, stick with manifolds.

The muffler controls the rumble not the pipes, get the biggest cans you can single chamber for power, 2 or 3 chamber for a quieter set up

H pipe is best for that smooth sound, but x pipe gives you more power in the top end. X pipes have a bit more snap, crackle, pop in them.

Use the best clamps you can like accuseal that don't crimp the pipe like u-bolts.

In the end he did my system, went with Dynomax parts because it met my criteria. I absolutely love the way my 4.0 sounds. I've been told its the best sounding V6 car around....I tend to agree.

Exhuast is like others have said pretty subjective, but get the rice sound out as much as possible and generally your going to like it (unless you want ricey).

Tom
Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

You need to watch out with the 3.7, take away too much Back Pressure it suffers in low end.
That said, I had the Magnaflow Competition on for about a week, lost power on the low end and had drone from hell at highway speeds.
Now I have BBK Short tube headers, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe and Borla Touring mufflers, gave me a smoother sound and more useable low to mid range power.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust Combination