Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Concern - NEW -

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 09:50 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Tank Concern - NEW -

I have found I have one gas station that I can't fill the mustang up cause it cuts off after a bit and keeps doing that. I do know that this same place the flow is really fast compared to the other stations I use.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I also wonder if the size of the fill pipe leading to the tank has something to do with this. I've been under my car to install a few mods, and that pipe looks like a soda straw (maybe 1 1/4" dia)
Old 10-17-2005, 12:00 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

I have not had this problem, My Stang was built in June 2005. Could ford have corrected this problem by the late 05-06 models ???

delurker,
How do you like the Charge motion plates. Did you gain HP, Was it hard to install. Is it worth the money...?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

My replacement tank keeps shutting off still.
I have figured out if you put it in VERY VERY slowly you can get a full tank and strange looks for taking 5 minutes or more to fill up.
Splash back also has happened twice. Both times there was enough spilled the station had to clean it up
Old 10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
FemmeCanuck
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone who has responded. Sounds like I am going to have to live with it, good thing that I too keep a towel handy
Old 10-18-2005, 12:46 PM
dirttrackracers90

I Had the gast tank problem with my GT. I took it to the dealer and there happens to be a recall on the 05 gas tanks. Got a new one. Ford made the neck of the gas tank to small. New one works great.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
STL_Atty
1st Gear Member

As have so many others, I get the premature shut off almost everytime I fill up. [sm=boosign.gif] Best way to handle it is to turn the gas nozzle 45 degrees (i.e. 3 o'clock). Sucks to have to hold it up the whole time, but at least its not shutting off every 1.5 seconds. No idea why, but this seems to stop the problem most of the time.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I think nautiluscont has the most logical reason for this. The design of the tank itself just does not lend itself to being filled quickly. I knew about this issue (thanks to this forum) long before I got my Mustang and I haven't even tried to fill her at the maximum setting on the nozzle and I've never had a problem. I did discover that when the nozzle shuts off, that's all I can get in. On my other car can cram a couple more bucks worth into it but on the Stang I learned the hard way that once the nozzle shuts off, you can't get any more in.
At least I haven't tried since that happened once. Got gas all over the side of the car. Since gas is hard on paint I never tried it again.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 AM
DanteMo
1st Gear Member

Guys and Gals,

I never had any problems with fill up but as it's gets colder here in the midwest I've started to notice the problem. I turn the nozzle upside down and it works. And tonight, I turned it upside down then stopped pumping after about 5 bucks and I decided to try it the normal way. I turned it right side up and it pumped the other 25 bucks just fine. Does anyone know if the cold weather is a factor?

THanx in advance..
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

WHen are we all going to join and sue!!!!!!!

The comment about the recall
is that what you were told or do you have "proof"?

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Concern - NEW -