Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Concern - NEW -

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Tank Concern - NEW -

Is this happening on the 06's as well, I had trouble putting in the gaw the other night, had to go VVEERRYY slowly, I managed to fill it, but took like 15 minutes to put in $30.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirttrackracers90

I Had the gast tank problem with my GT. I took it to the dealer and there happens to be a recall on the 05 gas tanks. Got a new one. Ford made the neck of the gas tank to small. New one works great.
How do I find out about recalls and have a new gastank installed?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:24 PM
marc_06_ragtop

My 06 has the same problem --- on every fill I get overflow... even if I fill slowly. I get my gas at work (cheaper) so I can't say if it jsut the pump
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I keep a bottle of Meguiar's "Quick Detailer" and several terry clothes in the trunk. Just in case things happen.

Couple of weeks ago, car freshly washed and waxed, found a great spot to park it for a little while, ZERO chance of door dings type of place. Should have paid more attention to the tree overhead! [:@] Some kind of berry tree, Screaming Yellow paint with splats all over the hood. "Quick Detailer" and all was OK.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Pookey

I have the problem with it cutting off as well. It's not a surprise to me though. The fill line itself is small, if you go to any fast pumps its going to back up. Replace your tanks all you want, its not going to make it fill any faster. What you could do is cut a hole in the top of your tank and fill it directly. Just plug it up with bubble gum when you are done and you're good to go!

It's sad that I am now forced to say this....being that we live in a society where being stupid rewards you with millions upon millions in lawsuits, but, do not actually cut a hole in your gas tank or this wil happen.
[sm=badbadbad.gif] <----- You
Old 12-23-2005, 12:51 AM
PandorasPony

Oy. I have no problems with 2006 my tank. I hope reading this thread doesn't curse me.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Blondblues

Hi all!

My car is very hard to refuel at all!
I have only been able to fill it up completly once during 650 miles and it took about 15-20 minutes!
Regardless of where I try to get gas the same procedure with cutting off problems appears.

I live in Sweden and Ford here does not sell the Mustang. This mean we need to import them from the US.
When you buy a car anywhere in the Americas the warranty is not valid outside of the Americas...

I really need to solve my problem cause I can't drive around like this anymore.
I would be extremly greatful if anyone could give me more detailed information around this problem.
I would specificly like to know:

1. Is there really a statment from Ford saying that the 05 tanks will be taken back?
If so, where can I see this? Links to a Ford homepage would be of great help!

2. Does anyone for sure know what causes this and what is needed to help this problem?
I ask this since it is obvious that not every 05 and 06 has this problem when they come out of the factory so it must be something specific that causes this problems. In this thread there seems to be a lot of assumptions, but no real hard facts (Preferably confirmed by Ford). This would be of very high interest to me.

3. The car dealership I bought the car from is afraid to order a new tank to solve the problem since as it appers also in this thread that it only "might" solve the problem, but does not always do so...
They claim that the tank I have has the same spare part number as the you can order to solve the problem.
But if Ford changes this for free in the US, then what changes have been made to the tank and how can I assure myself that if we order one, I will get one that solves the problem?

Most of the cars over here as well as mine with this problem have changed the pipe down to the tank and it helped the problem mostly, but not in all cases. About 5% still have the problem like with me.

Please help me with useful links and info about what Ford has been telling you guys in the US about this!

Regards from a desperat Swede!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Badash
1st Gear Member

I just had my tank replaced. Had a problem filling it the first time and thats all. If I put the pump in and go right to the pump lock position it will click off... if I increase it slowly to the locking position its fine till its full. I dont know if the tank was modified in some way, because I had to speak with the factory reps for the country about it and they wanted to know all the problems.. Does if fill better in the heat? Where in the states did you first use it? Was the problem the same there? They seem to think that the humidity effects it... and I do not know if they modified the tank in any way from how ford sends it to them.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

I have contacted my dealer about the over fill problem.
The dealer I bought from - the owner is part of Fords management.
He says he will be contacting people from Ford about this and I have no doubt that he will
Maybe get something done.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Lenise

This works for me, try filling up real early in the morning, fuel is lighter at cold temps. I can fill mine all the way now, instead of it cutting off and acting as though it is full when i have only gotten 2 dollars in it

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Concern - NEW -