Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Concern - NEW -

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:35 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Tank Concern - NEW -

ORIGINAL: chrisc65

Damit I want answers...talk to your dealers. I'm sick and tired of this tank problem. Its the only thing holding me back from getting dual exhaust.

When if Ford gonna get their $hit together?
i dont get it, how is it stopping you?

btw, nice choice of name
Old 01-02-2006, 12:45 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

here is a site with all the tsbs i have posted for the stang
hope this helps
http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?t=1069

ORIGINAL: Blondblues

Hi all!

My car is very hard to refuel at all!
I have only been able to fill it up completly once during 650 miles and it took about 15-20 minutes!
Regardless of where I try to get gas the same procedure with cutting off problems appears.

I live in Sweden and Ford here does not sell the Mustang. This mean we need to import them from the US.
When you buy a car anywhere in the Americas the warranty is not valid outside of the Americas...

I really need to solve my problem cause I can't drive around like this anymore.
I would be extremly greatful if anyone could give me more detailed information around this problem.
I would specificly like to know:

1. Is there really a statment from Ford saying that the 05 tanks will be taken back?
If so, where can I see this? Links to a Ford homepage would be of great help!

2. Does anyone for sure know what causes this and what is needed to help this problem?
I ask this since it is obvious that not every 05 and 06 has this problem when they come out of the factory so it must be something specific that causes this problems. In this thread there seems to be a lot of assumptions, but no real hard facts (Preferably confirmed by Ford). This would be of very high interest to me.

3. The car dealership I bought the car from is afraid to order a new tank to solve the problem since as it appers also in this thread that it only "might" solve the problem, but does not always do so...
They claim that the tank I have has the same spare part number as the you can order to solve the problem.
But if Ford changes this for free in the US, then what changes have been made to the tank and how can I assure myself that if we order one, I will get one that solves the problem?

Most of the cars over here as well as mine with this problem have changed the pipe down to the tank and it helped the problem mostly, but not in all cases. About 5% still have the problem like with me.

Please help me with useful links and info about what Ford has been telling you guys in the US about this!

Regards from a desperat Swede!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:55 AM
cathane

Hey Everyone,

I had my gas tank replaced with the TSB one back in June, and right away I got the overflow problem. I complained about it about a month before my dealer would agree to look at the car. They kept it for a day, and then informed me that they refused to look at it because Ford had no records of this ever happening, and the service manager didn't believe it was a problem... After a few choice words to the salesman who sold me the car, and a meeting between him, the manager of the dealership, and the service manager, my SALESMAN went out, filled the car with pump at the dealership and saw the problem. I was told they problem would be looked at, but I had to spend the next 4 months complaining to Ford and my dealership to do something to fix the problem... I was even asked to video tape the problem so they could show it to the Ford Engineers, which I did. I again eventually lost patience, and flipped out to a Ford Customer care person, which resulted in them finally agreeing to try another tank on the car and see if the problem would go away. Put a new tank in, same problem. At this point I was so fed up and tired of the situation I decided I would have to just live with the problem, never was contacted and asked if the problem was fixed. So there's been 3 tanks in my car, and unfortuantely the orginal "Faulty" one was the best :S, and all I've gained is utter distrust of the dealership I purchased the vehicle from (I bring my car to a competing local dealership for service now, where they don't tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car without looking at it). I figure that until they totally redesign the tank, there is never going to be a "fix" to all the various issues... and yes, the new "Improved" tank still cuts off half the time when I'm filling up... great fix. Later.

Cathane
Old 01-02-2006, 05:02 AM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

I have heard that Ford will not remove "the modified" exhaust to replace the gas tank. I'm hoping to get dual exhaust someday
Old 01-02-2006, 02:09 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

as long as you install the duals like i did. i had clamps installed at the x-pipe so that everthing removes like the gt. the ones i think you are talking about are where everthing is welded.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:00 PM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

I tried to fill my new 06 GT for the first time this morning and after about 10 gal. it cut off and I couldn't get any more in no matter how slow I tried. The gas gauge show a little over half a tank when I finally gave up. I am going to try at a different gas station at lunch today and see what happens.
Greg