Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM
kallybravo

Default Shaker advice needed

Hi Guys,

I had a 2005 Mustang V6 with shaker 500 audio until 2 weeks ago when a drunk girl destroyed it.

Now I am looking for a used 2008+ mustang.

I know some people may think I am dumb, but i really loved my shaker 500 and loved the feel the subs in the door provide.

So, please advice on what has changed in Shaker for the 2008-2010 and 2011-2014 models?

All i see now in the newer cars is base audio and a Shaker audio which doesn't say whether it is shaker 500 or 1000.

Since, I am looking for a used mustang, my choice may be restricted in what I find.

If I find a car with base stereo, what would it take for me to upgrade the speakers and add the subwoofers in the two doors(i love these)

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

You're looking to go from a 05 sixer to a 08 plus GT and all you're worried about is the sound system? Thats a 1st. GL!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:30 PM
kallybravo

nowhere did I mention about getting a GT but I am open for it. I am just saying that i loved my sound system and want something in the car that I would buy. I do have several questions on mind, but this post wast merely to know about the sound options from people with better knowledge than myself.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

The newer cars are Shaker/Shaker Pro. It's the same setup as the Shaker 500/Shaker 1000 if I'm not mistaken (the Pro/1000 adds the trunk subs). If you find a good deal on the CAR you want, then go for it. I wouldn't let the Shaker be a deal breaker. For ~$1000, you can have a true custom system that will blow the Shaker (either variety) away. Adding door subs to a non-factory Shaker system isn't easy or cost-effective.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

In the base system you would have to also add amps to power the door subs if you went that route. You can get an adequate amp, 2 door subs, and all four speakers for approximately, $500.00, depending on your budget you could go way higher than that if you wanted to. But then you're left with the base head unit. If you upgraded that it would cost a lot more. You would need the stereo bezel for 300 bucks IIRC, and a new HU. Anywhere from 150 to 1000 bucks, depending on what you went with.

Keep looking for a car with the Shaker, one will pop up. If you replace the speakers and sound deaden the door panels on the Shaker, it sounds totally different and isn't all that bad actually.

If you go with a base stereo I agree, it wouldn't be worth adding the door subs. In that case I would go with a different sub setup.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 04-15-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

So, please advice on what has changed in Shaker for the 2008-2010 and 2011-2014 models?
sometime after 2008 the system changed door speakers; it went from enclosed 2-way speakers (5" midrange and 1" tweeter) to a 6x8" coaxial. From 2005-2012 the door and rear speakers were powered by the radio, and the subwoofers by amplifiers in the kick panel (shaker 500.) In 2013 the system changed to using an external amplifier driving the main speakers and door subwoofers (shaker.)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 AM
cedarmn
1st Gear Member

My 2 cents is the shaker system is very clean and I love mine. IF I bought a car without the shaker system though I would go aftermarket for two reasons. 1st you will get a way bigger sound out of aftermarket. 2nd the install and cost would be less going aftermarket unless you get lucky at a auto wreckers on a shaker system.

good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

<--- very happy with the factory Shaker Pro. Will be upgrading speakers when I get around to it, but otherwise it works fine for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

You can build an amazing aftermarket system for less then retrofitting a shaker in a non-shaker car too. I don't think anyone mentioned that.

That's not to say that Shaker is bad. I enjoyed mine but I've replaced the head units in 2 that I've had with aftermarket with great results. If you get a shaker, one of the best upgrades you can make is the door and back deck speakers. I went with Focals in my car and my wife is running Alpines. I prefer the Focals as they have a nice clean midrange without having to boost it from the head unit while the Alpines are a little too bright for my taste.

Also, sorry that a drunk chick destroyed your car. That sucks. Glad you're ok.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

I replaced my door speakers with JBL 608 components and my rear speakers with JBL 638's. Then I had a terrible rattle in my door subs.

So I put sound proofing on the door interior "panels", wow, what a difference it made on the shaker. It doesn't compete with a quality aftermarket system but it's really not bad.

This is my first Mustang and first Shaker and I looked for a premium so I could have the Shaker system.

In hindsight a base system would have suited me better and I would have ripped it out and went totally aftermarket.

I have a pretty basic system in my vette. Alpine 126BT, KTP 445 power pack, JBL 660c components, Infinity 5.25 rear, and a sound ordinance 8" powered sub, and it still sounds better than my shaker.

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Shaker advice needed