Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust cutouts DIY project

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust cutouts DIY project

Hey all. I know there is nothing new about exhaust cutouts. I know that they get a mixed bag of reviews. Some say they r pointless. Some say cool. I want some. I think it would be really cool to have a "quiet" exhaust then switch to stock car mode. I am in college and it appeals to me. Sorry lol

Heres my dilemma. I refuse to pay 200-$450 for e cutouts. It is NOT worth it. Period. All those companies r insane. There is simply not enough material, metal, electronics, or work put into that to be worth that much. It's not there. also I don't really want to pay for those mr gasket cut outs. So. I am going to try and build my own.

My plan is to take 36" of pipe and make two cutouts out of that. The main pipe will be 11 3/8" and the Y pipe coming off of that is going to be 4-6". Then I'll put on a turndown to direct it away from the car. I am having trouble finding material. Also I am going to try and make my own butterfly valve. Any suggestions or considerations? Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 03:15 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Let's see:

0) The cost of 36-inches of pipe depends on the size and whether or not you want to use stainless. For the sake of estimates, let's say 2.5 inch stainless - $30 at summit (plus shipping). You also need a sawz-all if you want to make it easy on yourself.

1) Cutting out a butterfly should be easy, but machining a shaft and attaching it to a motor will be problematic, especially for a college student with no tools and no skills.

2) Then you have to weld up a Y-pipe and a pipe with a flange for the exit. Got a welder handy?

3) Then you have to buy clamps and bolts, unless you're planning on making those too.

4) Finally, you have to cobble together a wiring harness.

I'm all for hot-rodding, but if you ain't got the tools or skills, you're simply better off buying stuff that's already made. Plus when/if something goes sideways on you, you can do more than just cussing up a storm. It'll end up costing you at least as much as just buying a kit.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 PM
cedarmn
1st Gear Member

just my 2 cents but the "stock car mode" would get tired really quickly. I am all for big sound but part of the apeal of the mustangs to me is their unique sound. I personally just through on an offroad X pipe and think the car sounds mean. Also you will enjoy the performance gains from the x pipe.

BUT if you have your heart set on the cut outs I agree by the kit. It is always better to go with the clean kit that can be removed later
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Jsimmon. Lots of points.

1) mine wont be electric.
2) I do have a sawz all
3)I got a buddy who is going to do alllll the welding for free
4)I am looking at some band clamps
5) ONE manual cutout from mr gasket is $60. So I gotta beat $120. I am pretty sure I can
Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I'd be worried about the butterfly leaking exhaust gasses. A block off plate at the end over a header reducer (or long one) with a gasket should work but would take a little longer to open up.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

You're having trouble finding materials? Where are you looking? Do you have a Napa anywhere near you? Other than the butterfly valve, the rest of this is pretty straightforward and I would think your biggest problem is going to be figuring out where you're going to run this under the car.

Have you thought about just finding a set of take off stock mufflers and boring them out, then when you want to swap, just do a muffler swap? I've got it down to about 15 minutes to swap them out. Heck...just have someone bend some pipe for you and use that.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'd be more concerned about the butterfly shafts not sticking after a while, assuming that you can get the butterflies located accurately enough on them in the first place.

If I was going to do something like what you're describing, I think I'd search the junkyards or maybe Craigslist for a pair of dual-mode mufflers off the recent Camaros or Corvettes (aka the "NPP option") and find a way to adapt them. Mechanically they're solenoid-operated, and I'd just wire the solenoids to a toggle switch.

Norm
Old 04-18-2014, 11:16 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

jimkaray,
i am really wanting to be able to open from inside the car. i am planning on using choke cables. your idea isnt bad though lol.

wcgman,
i wont run them like this enough at one time to warrant a muffler swap. not a bad idea though.

norm.
i guess i will just cross the "sticking problem" bridge when i come to it.

i am thinking of getting used throttle bodies for the butterfly valve area.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I just installed a set of these, cost was $310. When you figure in all the time and stuff that goes along with it. NOT worth it, spend the $300 and be done with it. I did mine because I'm a part time weekend track guy..
Old 04-18-2014, 04:31 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I just can't spend that much man. Besides. I'm getting a kick out of building this myself. I'm an engineering student

Quick Reply: Exhaust cutouts DIY project