Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Car leaking oil, 2007GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Okay, ignoring the fact that my thread got derailed by a discussion about coolant...

i moved my car and looked at the puddle under it today. It is definitely motor oil (it's brown) and its coming from about dead center of the car. It appears to be leaking a few spoonfuls a day, so not much. I have not been able to get under it, as I don't have the proper lift equipment to do so.

I'm thinking I should take it to a pro. Might just be a simple seal right? Any further advice would be appreciated as my $ supply is quite low, and if there is a fix I can do myself I definitely will, I just don't want to waste my time.

Thanks everyone!
The middle? Has to be drain bolt or rear main seal. That's assuming it's not leaking at a valve cover and running down the back of the motor. I haven't see a lot of rear main seal problems with these motors.

It could be leaking more while you are driving. Get it fixed, there are too many idiots out there leaking oil and just keep adding it. Some of us on two wheels rely on traction to stay upright.

Last edited by moosestang; 05-03-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:59 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys. I'll find a way to get it onto some jackstands soon and have a look.

And no, the oil was changed around 2,000 miles ago. Its possible that I just didn't notice, but I think is has only been leaking for the last month.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

It must not be leaking much if you're gonna keep putting it off. I wouldn't bank on rear main seal being the cause because that doesn't happen much anymore with the newer blocks that Im aware of. If this were a 15 or 20 yr old F150 then hell yes its likely the rear main.

If you're not changing your own oil then maybe those knuckleheads cross threaded or didnt fully seat the drain plug. Heck one time I told the guy after a gear swap to keep his hands off the rear end and he comes over during the oil change showing me how "the gear oil needs replaced because it's bad" even after I told him to stay away from it. I said, yeah look at the color. It's not right because it's royal purple. Thats why I told you not to touch it. I got home and that jerk decided to hand tighten barely the filler plug and I had to close it. I hate having to go somewhere to have my oil changed, but I also face it that Im too damned big and getting too old to be crawling around under that car. Now I take the shelby to the ford stealership. Yes its a lot more but if they f it up they are fixing it.