Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing pinion seal, what size socket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
Which advance did you go to? I work at one in Gainesville and I know for sure we have them because I just recently looked up how much one is at work because my 05 GT leaks a little from the pinion seal too.
The one in Alachua, I moved to Alachua about 6 months ago. No sweat, the Ford one might be better, who knows.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

We stock it at our Advance, both in National and Driveworks lines. I bought the National #3604 seal myself couple weeks ago. It's very common, used in a ton of Fords.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's 1 1/16th! turns out I had the socket the whole time, so now I have a 27mm for nothing. 27mm will work, but it's a tad loose compared to 1 1/16th.

I got it up in the air and drive shaft off. Everything is marked and I'll be turning the nut tomorrow morning. I'll make a little video, probably be some curse words.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Nut came off easier than I thought, so did the pinion flange. getting the seal out took some doing, but slowly working around it with a flat blade screw driver did the trick. The seal looked to be in good shape.

I made a video of some of the steps, but this is hardly a how too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqZ0...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

New seal is working well. Pulled the stock vent fitting today and got a nice little poof of pressure come out the axle. For those that haven't seen it, this is what it looks like on a 06.

this is what it looks like without the cap.

Under that cap was a piece of rubber. Since the stock vent puked oil anyway and obviously it allows pressure to build, i decided to run a 2 foot length of 3/8 nylon tubing and zip tied it to the gas tank vent tubes under the trunk.

this is what it looks like with the axle at ride height, I installed it with the axle hanging down.

I can't imagine it will build up pressure now, that's a large opening in that fitting. I swear i have less gear whine after changing the pinion seal.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I didn't think about that vent cap being like that.

I know my other Fords don't leak at the pinion seal, only this '08 Mustang. I know a couple have the rubber tubes, specifically my '77 F150, the '07 F150, and the '01 Mercury GM. Not sure about the two T-birds, they have fixed center sections and CV axles being independent rears.

I think I may give it a good cleaning and try this vent mod and see how that goes. I can do the seal later if it shows signs of leakage then, currently it never leaves any drops under the car, I just see where it slung a little when I am underneath .... like would maybe happen if a vent was not venting and pressure built up.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Looks good moose. I had mine done about a year ago. Pinion seal is a common failure on our cars i think
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm happy to report no more oil puking problems from the vent tube! I wish I had done that years ago.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Old thread, but any tips on how to get the new pinion seal in? I've heard so many various methods, just want to know what's best. I've heard pack the seal with vaseline, and put it in the fridge until it becomes a solid... then use something to smack it in evenly... Alternatively I've seen people lightly tap it in with a mallet and that's it.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
I didn't think about that vent cap being like that.

I know my other Fords don't leak at the pinion seal, only this '08 Mustang. I know a couple have the rubber tubes, specifically my '77 F150, the '07 F150, and the '01 Mercury GM. ... etc ...
Good point to update .... shortly after my above post (over 2-1/2 years ago) I did modify my '08's axle vent with a hose after removing the OEM vent with check valve disc .... which has a small spring above holding the disc against the hole (maybe '06 they used a piece of sponge rubber to do same sealing job?) .... so that there is a pressure threshold that must be overcome for it to vent built up pressure.
I used a 3/8" hose bib, smoothed the threaded end and used a die to rethread it 7/16-20 and attached my hose to that. I ran hose up and over out of harms way and down into a frame tube (much like described by moosestang with pics above).

So far .... there have been no further signs of leakage, no wetness, and no drips hanging on the housing. Seal is in my spares box.

Last edited by tbear853; 02-05-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: changing pinion seal, what size socket?