Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Default Convertible questions

Hello,

I am currently stationed in Japan and I'm going to order a new Mustang right before I return to the states. I am considering getting a convertible, I have never had or even been in one before and unfortunately I don't have the ability to test drive one here. Do the verts squeak and rattle? Are they noisy on the inside with the top up? Does the top go up/down automatically? Are they more expensive to insure? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to have all the info I can to make an informed decision.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

We have a 97 vert and it does not squeak or rattle. It is a little louder on the inside with the top up, but it's not something you really think about after a while. You get used to it and it doesnt interfere with conversation or listening to the radio...it's just there. The top is fully automated. You have to be completely stopped to take it up or down. Insurance is only slightly more because it is more car to insure, but it's seriously only a couple dollars more every 6 months (maybe 20?)

One thing that you arent really told is that you don't want to take it through a high pressure car wash. Its really bad for the top and you can easily get water in the car if the pressure is high, so you are going to have to hand wash it, but they are easy to clean. Don't worry about rain or weather though, it's the car washs that are bad. You arent going to get wet in a rain storm.

They are a blast to drive and you absolutely can't beat the view so in that respect, they are totally worth every penny.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM
JimC

Love my convertible. And no squeaks or rattles on the S197.

My last one was a 2006 (the one in the sig, need to update that) and not only did I drive it every day, year round, but also drag raced with it (you can see the roll bar I had to put in because it was too quick not to have one under the rules). I sold it last month with 203,000 miles on it. No rattles from the top, no air leaks, no squeaks.

With the convertible you will notice some more road noise because of the fabric/vinyl top rather than a closed coupe. Passing a semi on the highway you can hear it more than in a coupe.

My 2013 I picked up last week is even quieter though than the 2006. I noticed that Ford put more sound deadening material in the new car.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
357rod100
1st Gear Member

you'll love the convertible, noise increase over a hardtop is minimal. outside of a jeep wrangler, this is the most fun car I've driven.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Vert for the win! In my 96 and 02 Mustang vert's I could hear everything but with the 07 I have now it's almost like having a regular coupe. The seal is extremely well done as well. I take mine thru the car wash all the time (but only 1 certain car wash) and no issues. My kids love it, the neighbors kids, friends, anyone really...lol Nothing like driving around on a warm summer night with the top down. I rarely ever put my top up. This past week I got beat by the weather but it was over 100 every day..lol.

As far as insurance goes, yes, a vert will cost more because the car itself costs more to replace (guessing). But, I have no real way to gauge that one for you because I haven't owned a hard top car since I was about 22.

Yes the tops are automatic. It's a simple 2 button press. Press once, all your windows go down, press (and hold) the second time and your top goes down. I am not sure what would squeak and rattle, definately not the top's frame.

I believe the verts are a little heavier than coupes because of the motors used to put the top up and down. Could be wrong on that one though.

And, lastly.. they can put down the same power as a coupe! I'm over 400rwhp and saving cash to go beyond.. far beyond.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

As far as the car goes, I second what everyone else has said so far. I love mine.

There is a bigger issue though. Pardon me for assuming, but I assume you are young since you are getting out of the service; well, relatively young anyway. Soon, a wife, kids, career, and a mortgage will put the convertible on the back burner. I knew I had the convertible gene, but didn't get one well into my 50s. I have to tell you, it was worth the wait.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

i have one too and the only bad thing is that audio sucks, its way too hard getting a good sound system because of the acoustics of the car
Old 07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Blueper
2nd Gear Member

Love mine, It's my daily driver.

xkape, love the styling bar.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveDwsn
As far as the car goes, I second what everyone else has said so far. I love mine.

There is a bigger issue though. Pardon me for assuming, but I assume you are young since you are getting out of the service; well, relatively young anyway. Soon, a wife, kids, career, and a mortgage will put the convertible on the back burner. I knew I had the convertible gene, but didn't get one well into my 50s. I have to tell you, it was worth the wait.
Acutally, I'm 37 and don't have any kids and don't plan to have any. Also I am not getting out of the military yet and I do have a mortgage on our house in GA. but thanks for the input
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the input so far guys, I appriciate it. It's looking to me like the vert is the way to go. One other concern I have is the stiffness or rigidity of the car, I have heard in the past the body isn't as rigid which can affect handling etc.

Quick Reply: Convertible questions