Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing pinion seal, what size socket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default changing pinion seal, what size socket?

i tried goggling it and I see two different answers? Is it 1 1/8 inch or 1 1/16?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
i tried goggling it and I see two different answers? Is it 1 1/8 inch or 1 1/16?
I'm not sure which it is ..... yet ..... but it looks like I will know pretty soon.

My '08 is leaking just a hair there as well, seems to be a common malady some how? I have a '01 Mercury GM and '92 and '95 Thunderbirds all with 8.8 rears and not a drop but this '08 Mustangs is leaking.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's looking like 27mm or 1 1/16 is correct. I might have both, I know I have 1 1/8.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

it's a big ****... had to get one from the hobby shop when I put the Alum D/S flange on lol
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well I had to spend the first half of the day at the dentist, so it looks like Friday I will start on it. I probably need to remove my mid mufflers to give me enough leverage room to get the pinion nut off, so this will give me all day Saturday to finish up.

Got a 27mm socket from lowes for $7. bottle of white out from CVS for $2.99 to mark everything. I'm going to count turns and put the nut back on just how it came off.

I had to get the pinion seal from ford, discount auto told me it was dealer only.

My leak was most likely cause by my clogged vent. The vent would puke oil and my dirt road would stick to it like glue. I'm going to pull the vent and see if I can't rip the top cap off and install a length of hose.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-30-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Impact gun makes the removal MUCH MUCH easier
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Impact gun makes the removal MUCH MUCH easier
If I had one, then I might use it. still wouldn't want to use it to tighten it back. It'd be to easy to go past the original spot.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Well I had to spend the first half of the day at the dentist, so it looks like Friday I will start on it. I probably need to remove my mid mufflers to give me enough leverage room to get the pinion nut off, so this will give me all day Saturday to finish up.

Got a 27mm socket from lowes for $7. bottle of white out from CVS for $2.99 to mark everything. I'm going to count turns and put the nut back on just how it came off.

I had to get the pinion seal from ford, discount auto told me it was dealer only.

My leak was most likely cause by my clogged vent. The vent would puke oil and my dirt road would stick to it like glue. I'm going to pull the vent and see if I can't rip the top cap off and install a length of hose.
Which advance did you go to? I work at one in Gainesville and I know for sure we have them because I just recently looked up how much one is at work because my 05 GT leaks a little from the pinion seal too.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:37 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Quick question? I just had my pinyon seal replaced last month, maybe due to lowering and or the vent clogged, I also lived on a dirt road till a few weeks ago. Can you get to the vent from the outside of the axle, or have to come though the inside of the pumpkin axle housing? I know (if I remember correctly) it's a bout a foot over from the center diff on the passenger side. But I haven't been under there to inspect in a while or look at it closely, I want to clean this thing out ASAP! And also, if you haven't figured out the socket size I would just go to sears or ace hardware ect... And buy a few sizes and just return the ones you don't need, or return all of them when you done haha
Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Quick question? I just had my pinyon seal replaced last month, maybe due to lowering and or the vent clogged, I also lived on a dirt road till a few weeks ago. Can you get to the vent from the outside of the axle, or have to come though the inside of the pumpkin axle housing? I know (if I remember correctly) it's a bout a foot over from the center diff on the passenger side. But I haven't been under there to inspect in a while or look at it closely, I want to clean this thing out ASAP! And also, if you haven't figured out the socket size I would just go to sears or ace hardware ect... And buy a few sizes and just return the ones you don't need, or return all of them when you done haha
It just unscrews from the top of the axle tube. I think it's a 13mm wrench, maybe smaller. I took mine out before to make sure I could blow through it.

Quick Reply: changing pinion seal, what size socket?