Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some advice on purchasing a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
nsult
1st Gear Member

Default Some advice on purchasing a Mustang

I have been looking at picking up a Mustang GT for the past month and have several questions on possible cars.

There are various types of GTs I am looking, but all are between 2005-2009. The issue I am running into is what type of setup I should consider. The car will be driven almost daily through nice weather and then put in the garage for the cold/winter months.

So some options I have been looking at:
GT with less than 20k miles and pretty much stock
GT with a body kit
GT with multiple engine mods such as throttle body, intake, gear swap and some with superchargers
GT with a mix of body kit and engine mods

I am stuck on if I should get something mainly stock with low miles to do the mods with down the road so I know how they are done and the setup or if I should find one with mods already done so that I don't have to invest as much into the car from the start.

Thoughts or input?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I have always steered away from buying modded used cars.
If the mods are light, ok... I can deal.

But if its heavily modded, I usually run. You never know what you are getting! It also sparks the question, "Why are you selling it?"
Sure the argument can carry on to stock vehicles as well. But, it usually helps to play devils advocate on both. Especially modded.

I say mostly stock with the least amount of miles possible. This way you know what is being bolted onto the car.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Stock with low miles.....build it your way and know what you have. I bought an 08 GT Vert with 17,000 miles last Nov....love it and it may get modded some day. If I never mod it, I still know I have a good car.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

get a 2011+
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nsult
I have been looking at picking up a Mustang GT for the past month and have several questions on possible cars.

There are various types of GTs I am looking, but all are between 2005-2009. The issue I am running into is what type of setup I should consider. The car will be driven almost daily through nice weather and then put in the garage for the cold/winter months.

GT with a body kit
GT with multiple engine mods such as throttle body, intake, gear swap and some with superchargers

I am stuck on if I should get something mainly stock with low miles to do the mods with down the road so I know how they are done and the setup or if I should find one with mods already done so that I don't have to invest as much into the car from the start.

Thoughts or input?

Thanks
What part of Indiana are you in??
I have a friend trying to sell his 09 GT. Stored winters, lightly modded.
PM me if you're interested and i can put you in touch with him
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

never buy a modded car with high milage.
original low miles car...all my 3 mustangs have been that way
Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Avoid modded and high mileage. Personally I would also avoid older than 2010.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
cant judge a book by its cover...

a guy at work has tons of high end mods on a new camaro SS he drives like a little old lady. my 4 mile (never ever been on the road) 09 will likely need work before it ever gets driven. my 06 is bone stock, at 62k miles, probably low-to-average... but I have flogged the crap out of it at the strip, probably over 100 1/4 mile runs, redlined/tire barking shifts...

exceptions to every rule- caveat emptor.

late 07-09s have the revised heads (no break-off spark plugs), something that could save a few hundred bucks or more at plug time...

aside from the hood underside hems bubbling up(almost all have it- the rest will if you look close enough) and the plugs, still think these might have been the most overall bang for the buck ever offered. I loved my 06 so much, the day after seeing the speedchannel reveal of the '10, ordered a 'spare' 09... hated the 10 rearend.
Looks/SOUND/handling/power/brakes/comfort/price, I still think the 05-09 was best ever overall package. get a stick/V8, mines as fun to drive today as it was almost 8 yrs ago...love these cars. wifes 07 is a v6/auto, she likes hers too, I wouldnt mind driving it either- but the V8/stick is just pure fun... looks-wise, about everyone still loves'em- compliments just today from a chevy truck guy at work 'thats a damn good looking car', and a 92 yr old lady (sister to a 90 yr old friend who was visiting) 'that sure is a pretty car', kids riding bikes, stopped at a corner 'nice Mustang!'... cant go wrong with these cars
Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nsult

GT with a body kit

Thoughts or input?

Thanks
Before buying a modded car, ensure that it comes with a tuner, and even if you don't buy a modded one, take it to a shop you trust to have it checked out mechanically.

The older a car gets, the harder it is to find one that hasn't been modded in some way. Keep in mind that buying a high-mileage car means you can get it cheaper, and put the money you saved into freshening it up.

Finally, if the car is modded, see if the owner still has and will provide the OEM parts he took off.

Avoiding modded Mustangs SEVERELY limits the selection of cars available to you.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
me too after owning a newer one...

Quick Reply: Some advice on purchasing a Mustang