Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD "DIESELING" NOISE AT IDLE

Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Indy-Vert

Default LOUD "DIESELING" NOISE AT IDLE

Just bought an '08 GT in April. 90k miles. Put a few thousand miles on it with no issues. At 95K I got a loud "diesel-like" knocking noise at idle after the car warms up. The first time came with P0345. Changed Cam Pos. sensors...no Change. New alternator...no change. New pulleys and belt...no change. Changed oil last Sunday at 100k... noise got worse and vomited the following codes...P0022, P0340, P0344 and P0345. Happens at almost every idle now since last oil change. Happens when the car is warm. All the gauges look stable and within normal parameters. Goes away when I bring RPM's over 1,500+. I could reproduce the noise on an incline before the last oil change. Now, it happens 60% of the time I stop and idle after the car is warm. If I pull it into the garage at night and turn it off while the noise is present, then I will hear it immediately upon startup the next day but it will disappear immediately after that.

The car is stock with the exception of FRPP springs.

Scheduled the dreaded appointment at the local Ford dealer.

Anybody got any ideas?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Lash adjustors perhaps? Is the noise more prominent on one side vs the other?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I thought this sounded very familiar... Try this: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ttle-load.html
Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Indy-Vert

Originally Posted by Nuke
I thought this sounded very familiar... Try this: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ttle-load.html

Sounds close, doesn't it? I've read a few posts here and there and my greatest concern would be some sort of internal blockage preventing good oil pressure to access the chain tensioner. I hypothesized a bad tensioner from the beginning of this mess. But I'm not a tech, so what do I know.

The distressing part of that thread you posted was no closure. The poster never divulged the real trouble. So I'm at square one, ready to shell out the several hundred bones in diag fees at the Ford dealer. We'll see.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Indy-Vert

Originally Posted by defiance
Lash adjustors perhaps? Is the noise more prominent on one side vs the other?
Lash adjusters I wouldn't know how to rule out. Stethoscope reveals noise all over the darned thing, but more noise up higher rather than lower.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Indy-Vert

Nuke, would like to see pics of your ride. Sounds sweet. Had those louvers on my 86 Black GT. Bet they look really nice on yours.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Indy-Vert

Update. One trip to the dealer and $144 later...dealer says I have 15psi oil pressure at idle and 40psi at 2,000 rpm. Mother effing bummer. They tell me they can't really get to pinpointing the source without tearing the thing down. Heh. Not sure what my next move is here. Anybody have a good line on quality shortblocks?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Seems like they should be able to tell you a little more. Could it be the pump?

Try LKQ for an engine. Call them and ask, they will negotiate a little bit with the price.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Indy-Vert
Update. One trip to the dealer and $144 later...dealer says I have 15psi oil pressure at idle and 40psi at 2,000 rpm. Mother effing bummer. They tell me they can't really get to pinpointing the source without tearing the thing down. Heh. Not sure what my next move is here. Anybody have a good line on quality shortblocks?
Are they telling you that that's not within spec?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Indy-Vert

Out of spec. Spec is 30 and 75.

After a brief chat with a shop foreman for the largest Ford dealer in the region(who also builds and races modular Mustangs, either the oil pump is bad(which, he thinks is improbable but possible) or the car's been beaten on severely by a previous owner who may not have been minding the oil properly while in between beatings(i.e. redlining with low oil volume, longer oil change intervals, etc.

Next step....auction block. Doris...I loved ya, baby.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LOUD "DIESELING" NOISE AT IDLE