Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally picked out a Mustang

Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 PM
nsult
1st Gear Member

Default Finally picked out a Mustang

So after weeks and weeks and weeks of looking and a few missed opportunities I picked up a Mustang. I guess I shouldn't say picked up it was more like a steal with the deal I put together.

Anyways I picked up a 2007 Mustang GT black on black. Now from reading forums my understanding is one of the first things I should do is drain the oil and run water through the engine for a few minutes while the car idles.

Just kidding.

I did read on the forum about suggested starting mods, recommendations so the site has been great help. My first question has to do with exterior mods to the car. I have been looking at the pre-painted body parts from American Muscle.

So the question is, has anyone that purchased a used mustang picked up a set of painted louvers or pre-painted parts? How close did they match the color of the car given sun fading and age of the car?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Is your paint faded? You might have a problem.

Live in the northern part of the county and bought a garage kept car? No issue.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 PM
nsult
1st Gear Member

The car is from northern Indiana and only has 39k miles on it. The paint looks good, could use a good waxing and cleaning up, but other than that I think it looks good.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

What was the steal price of you don't mind me asking? First things first is lower it ( if it hasn't been done already) that's my opinion. These things look like monster trucks without a little drop. Doesn't need to be slammed just 1.5" in the rear and 1" front. After that you can read what everyone has said as you mentioned. Cai and tune, axel backs, short throw shifters..... The list goes on and on. You will enjoy modding, what these cars were made for. Customization
Old 06-06-2014, 08:07 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

congrats on the new car.

Regarding your question, due to the age of the car, the paint on the louvers will probably look more shiny since it will be newer. The difference will depend on the condition of your car's existing paint.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

I got some prepainted parts from AM for my 07 and they matched perfectly
Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

How does the price of the pre painted items compare to a non painted item plus the cost of a local paint shop? I tired getting estimates from a few places here and nobody wil give me a straight answer on cost.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:12 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

AM does a good job with the paint match. You might need to polish and wax your car to get it looking as good as the fresh clear.

Local paint shops tend to be much higher from what I've seen after you've bought the parts. They need to prep, mix, spray, etc... a small set of parts while someone like AM, Roush, Cervinis...they are doing more of them in a much smaller color palette so economies of scale come into play.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:12 PM
nsult
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
What was the steal price of you don't mind me asking? First things first is lower it ( if it hasn't been done already) that's my opinion. These things look like monster trucks without a little drop. Doesn't need to be slammed just 1.5" in the rear and 1" front. After that you can read what everyone has said as you mentioned. Cai and tune, axel backs, short throw shifters..... The list goes on and on. You will enjoy modding, what these cars were made for. Customization
The steal price was close to close to 16k and for that price I got 4 years of warranty included. After weeks of looking in a 500 mile radius that was an amazing price for a 07 with less than 40K. Sure I found some cheaper, but they had been through multiple owners or auctions, had accidents or high miles.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nsult
The steal price was close to close to 16k and for that price I got 4 years of warranty included. After weeks of looking in a 500 mile radius that was an amazing price for a 07 with less than 40K. Sure I found some cheaper, but they had been through multiple owners or auctions, had accidents or high miles.

I wouldn't consider that a steal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally picked out a Mustang