Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 GT500 to 2013 GT500 Conversion and Major Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Yes ...Phantasm did a similar swap last year...albeit a lot more interesting. He swapped the 4.6L motor out of his with a 5.0L then proceeded to swap the front clip in a hybrid fashion that melded the two fender types together. It came out wicked cool.

here's the thread for that...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/moto...ice-clone.html

---
Yea, thats the only way to do it. Ive been trying to get this done for 3 years until finally I was able to but no one has done carbon fiber conversion fenders yet (oh and no Shelby GT500 has either!)

Last edited by Cobra Drifter; 06-16-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

The fickle minded collector would devalue a GT500 once its been altered. Just saying. At that point any future value on it would be totally subjective on the part of the buyer and how the seller markets it.

Still... its a nice project if I were to do it myself. But I'd keep OEM parts around to return it to its OEM look...just in case Someone says well its not Original anymore so I won't pay anything over $$XYZ.... then you simply say the OEM parts are right here and it will take only this amount of time to get it back to OEM spec....and these also come with the car. I certainly wouldn't pay someone else to do it since it becomes disposed income that never gets recouped. And I say this....Since it is a collector's vehicle. Unless of course its intended to become a family heirloom. Which means someone who inherits it will eventually sell it and hit the same roadblocks.

Otherwise when it becomes a buyer's market..and it always does....someone will be sitting on it for a long time before it get any bites.

Phantasm took a 4.6 GT and flipped it to a one off 5.0. Very different since it now took a minimal value variant and made it into a unique collectible. The difference being he didn't start with a GT500 with a retail above 60k that then devalued over 50% once it left the showroom floor and then altered it. He took a basic shell and added value to it so he's not expected to follow OEM spec to keep it looking and acting like a Shelby ... he can make it into what his heart desires. And then slap a price on it that should recoup his investment and then some without having to retain OEM parts for it.

BTW...What you're doing is cool. I respect the concept.... I'd just kinda tilt my head and wipe a tear or two away knowing its a GT500 that's being altered. Now if it was commissioned work from the Shelby team to customize the vehicle.... then that's different. Or if it was a GT swap like Phantasm's. Its gonna definitely look cool as hell when its done.... I would love to say its mine, but, I would expect from how some of the purists are there would also be some haters who're gotta hate.

Thanks for sharing. I love it.... and am anxious to see the final result.

---
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. There are a few reasons why I dont mind starting off with a GT500:

I'm not a shelby koolaid drinker.

They are not worth very much as compared to a gt premium of the same year. I see them selling for high 20's and low 30's so even if I had kept it garaged forever, in a temperature controlled place, put it in one of those bubble tent bags it would still only be worth "maybe" $5K more years later than if I was to actually drive it. Cars like this are meant to be driven as they will never increase in value. They produce way to many per year to be worth more than original pricing.

Because of the previous reason I sold my original parts and even those didnt fetch much. Seats, wheels and the intake I couldnt even give away.

This is something I have always wanted to do to it. From when I first bought it it only took me 2 weeks to have new mrr rims, toyo tires and eibach R1 colovers installed. I always get many looks and thumbs up when driving it that it is really cool to know people appreciate what Im doing. Its my car and I build it as I feel. Sure Im going to get haters but Im used to it as when I put bags on it years ago I got hate too but now its normal and accepted. Everyone has their own taste/style and I can appreciate everyones view. Its all good

After the current look was done 3+ years ago I have people following along modding their stangs with what Ive done in mind. Its cool and flattering but I like to be different and stay unique. So its off to the shop to get cut up, welded and modded like there is no tomorrow! lol. I cant wait to show you guys whats in store as this is just the beginning

Thanks for appreciating and being cool about everything. People like you further the desires of others to do what they want without fear of getting slammed by haters :thumb:
Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

These are the bags I've been runing up front. Air Lift's Track Pack bags. Adjustibles with 30 setting positions

Name:  75523_v1_20120101.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  324.3 KB

Name:  75523_v2_20120101.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  281.4 KB
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

And when I installed them:

Old 06-18-2014, 01:20 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobra Drifter
I'm not a shelby koolaid drinker.

Right. realistically, he is really not damaging the value of the car that much. Ford makes GT500's by the boatload now, it's hardly a collectors car, no more than an BMW M3 or M5 is a collectors car.

To me, unless it's a supersnake or a Shelby 1000, these cars are made for modding. I would have no qualms modding a GT500 if I owned one.

Really looking forward to the conclusion of this project.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Right. realistically, he is really not damaging the value of the car that much. Ford makes GT500's by the boatload now, it's hardly a collectors car, no more than an BMW M3 or M5 is a collectors car.

To me, unless it's a supersnake or a Shelby 1000, these cars are made for modding. I would have no qualms modding a GT500 if I owned one.

Really looking forward to the conclusion of this project.
I completely agree...And knew they were not what the classics were all about nor would they ever pull numbers near what their show room prices are...ever. There's always someone fickle out there and lets face it even if you or I were totally in love with this car... the good question is what do you feel its worth? Because I know if you trade it in to a dealer (God Forbid) they aren't going to feel its even worth the blue book since its been...altered. That said once its done... its now an expression on an individual's vision. And unless you have that same vision.... its still gonna be a hard sell.

But, who cares? We'd go and build our own anyway. Right?

Now if "Cobra Drifter" can perform a Trinity swap.... hmmm. But in all honesty I prefer the SALEEN approach to the exterior where they favor the blacked out look of the 2010-2012 front clip and the rear of the 2013-14 fascia.

No matter..I love his project. And the spanky swagger of his ride sets it apart in a real unique way.

---
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

I highly doubt I will ever sell the Shelby (since I wont be able to afford the new Voodoo 5.2 one at $60K base) and I still have my 01 Cobra since day 1. We lose lots of money just driving them off the lot so if you never sell you never lose lol

More pics coming soon Purchased a couple more ford parts today and have several more coming this week.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

The sparks are flying!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

And the money shots!!!

"You tucking tire, nice, but you ain't really tucking unless you're tucking 3"+ of a 20" rim!!!" HAHA!

Officially the very first S197 to lay frame and its a Shelby too!

Last edited by Cobra Drifter; 06-20-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 GT500 to 2013 GT500 Conversion and Major Build