Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 pack combo help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:01 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Default 3 pack combo help

so i finally ordered my simple bolt on and it consist of

sct sf3 tuner
Amazon.com: SCT SF3 FORD Power Flash Handheld Programmer (3015): Automotive Amazon.com: SCT SF3 FORD Power Flash Handheld Programmer (3015): Automotive

STEEDA cold air intake
Amazon Amazon

Steeda pulley
Amazon.com: Steeda 555-3345 Supercharger Pulley: Automotive Amazon.com: Steeda 555-3345 Supercharger Pulley: Automotive

my question are how easy is it to use the tuner? i never actually tune any car before so i'm asking for the most simple explanation. also are these parts on my list compatible with each other? thanks for any help.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:01 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

No. You need to take the vehicle to a shop with a dyno that uses SCT, or you can call Steeda for an email tune to compensate for the parts you purchased.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:09 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

i see so its not as simply as it seems. i need to take the car to the shop anyways to have the pulley installed.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:25 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

the 3015 tuner comes with 3 tunes, 87,91 and 93 octane. it can also do a lot more. plug it in to your car and see what you can do. it may recognize that you have a Shelby and can change pulley sizes. I have a gt so on mine I don't have that option. you can tune your car for the steeda cai as it is an option in the cai menu. you can change wheel sizes, gears, throttle body, headers, cams and other stuff. why do you need to take it to a shop to change the pulley? take the belt off, change pulley and put belt back on, that simple. the 3015 can also hold 5 custom tunes I think. I have 3 brenspeed custom tunes on mine. good luck
Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Honestly, just return those items and buy what you need from AM, or Brenspeed or VMP. You have a shelby GT500, get the proper parts with a proper tune. No way EVER would I trust a canned SCT tune.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with the parts he purchased. He just needs a tune. Steeda are top notch, excellent quality.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

i have check those website for the similar part but they don't seem to price match the exact same item. i'm just trying to save a little bit of money. i can install the CAi no problem but i'm going to have to take the car to the chop to install the pulley and i don't really have any ideas on how to use a tuner.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

AM prices matches, you just have to call.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
i have check those website for the similar part but they don't seem to price match the exact same item. i'm just trying to save a little bit of money. i can install the CAi no problem but i'm going to have to take the car to the chop to install the pulley and i don't really have any ideas on how to use a tuner.
You own a friggin GT500 and you're trying to save "a little bit of money"? The $50 or $100 you're saving are nothing compared to the cost of a new motor when you use upgrades improperly.

Send the stuff back to Amazon and buy from a reputable Mustang supplier. AM, Steeda, Lund, CJ Pony, etc...

There is a price difference for a reason...support. Sorry but for parts that require tunes I gladly pay a little extra to get the support, even if I end up not using the support. Piece of mind is priceless.

P.S. The tuner is not user programmable unless you have access to the programming software and a Dyno. You'd have to go to a Dyno shop as mentioned that uses SCT for programing. Dyno runs can cost anywhere from a $150 bucks to several hundreds depending on how much time they spend on the tune. Yes, there are some parameters you can change as a user but, you don't have access to the fuel table and AFR settings etc.

Last edited by Derf00; 07-08-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
You own a friggin GT500 and you're trying to save "a little bit of money"? The $50 or $100 you're saving are nothing compared to the cost of a new motor when you use upgrades improperly.

Send the stuff back to Amazon and buy from a reputable Mustang supplier. AM, Steeda, Lund, CJ Pony, etc...

There is a price difference for a reason...support. Sorry but for parts that require tunes I gladly pay a little extra to get the support, even if I end up not using the support. Piece of mind is priceless.

P.S. The tuner is not user programmable unless you have access to the programming software and a Dyno. You'd have to go to a Dyno shop as mentioned that uses SCT for programing. Dyno runs can cost anywhere from a $150 bucks to several hundreds depending on how much time they spend on the tune. Yes, there are some parameters you can change as a user but, you don't have access to the fuel table and AFR settings etc.

Thanks for the advice. Just for the record just because someone owns a gt500 that doesn't automatically mean they have money to spend. It took me 1 year to save up just to get the car on the monthly that I can afford to pay. Second these parts are steeda parts am I correct? What makes them different if I bought it from other retailer? Beside the fact that they are cheaper? And no AM does not compare price as I spoke to a rep from AM about these parts. I will gladly buy from them if they just price match.

But enough of that I just wanted to know how can I use my CAI as it requires a tune as stated. I seen ppl online installing their CAI and using a tuner and they didn't have to go to a shop. But I will need to go to a shop anyway to have them install the pulley but i want to install the CAI myself to save money on labor. Thanks for all the help brother.

Quick Reply: 3 pack combo help