Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for feed back on hot rod cams from some one that has had them for a while

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM
slimfast

Default looking for feed back on hot rod cams from some one that has had them for a while

hello I know this question has been asked a million times but if somebody could give me the input would be appreciated. I am recently came into having problems with the valve train in my head of my 4.6 liter 2007 Mustang. I was thinking while having the work done at the Ford dealership I may go ahead and have the hot rod cams installed. Only problem that I ran into is that I used the car as a daily driver in drive trips often of 600+ miles to the job site at times. I know some people have had these cans in their vehicles for a while now maybe they could tell me the liability with valve system with these cams

also was wanting to ask as far as performance gains all I have is a axle back muffler delete. If I do purchase the cams will also buy a Bama tuner jlt series 3 cai intake. Do yall think that I'd be happy with the performance of the vehicle for the money spent, take into consideration that I will be paying for some head work anyways and possibly one cam if I do stay stock. Have read tons of reviews and threads see a lot of mixed emotions really on the fence about this purchase with it being a over the road vehicle. Thank you for any input hope to hear back. Do plan on doing more upgrade at a later time. But just cams intake and muffler dealer for now
Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

FRPP Hot Rods are perfectly safe for the stock internals and valvetrain.
Some people have reported low rpm drivability issues in heavy traffic situations. IMO, I think it all boils down to the tune and how much time you spend to dial in the cams with a good tuner. Power gains will definitely be contingent on your tune. Out of the box, most people claim gains around 20-30hp in the mid-top end of the power band. Axle back is not going to make any difference in the equation as those are more for sound/show. But, the JLT and Tune will give you noticeable gains.

The real question you should ask yourself is are you planning on going forced induction? If you are, I would wait till you go that route and then look into it. Cams should always be last and used to fine tune your power band. FRPP's will work if you added a blower, but you will be better suited going with a set of blower cams that will have a bit higher exhaust duration to make better use of the forced induction. Another thing to consider is emissions. For me, living in CA cams are out of the question as it would never pass.

I would spend the money you intend to on cams, somewhere else like suspension, or opening up your exhaust system with a mid pipe and headers.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I would go Cold air intake and tune first things first. You can do them both at the same time but the most bang for your buck mod for these cars is a Cai with tune. I like to enjoy each mod at a time personally. The Cai/ tune combo is good for 20-25hp at the wheels believe it or not. Cams only get the most benefits if there complimented with long tube headers and a higher rear end gear which is "highly recommended"
Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 PM
slimfast

I appreciate the response guys. I have decided to go ahead and have the hot rods installed. After what it was going to cost me for a stock cam in ford only charge me 200 bucks to replace the driver side cam. I'm going to have about additional $700 for the purchase and install if the cams compared to what it was going to cost me for the stock csm and in the other parts that I had to have installed. already planning long tubes looking at BBK but heard they're kinda difficult to put on compared to the other long tube headers. wish me luck as I seem to have bad luck at times. I will keep you all updated let you know how happy I am once it's done