Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed MGW shifter tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:36 AM
Phil1098

Default Installed MGW shifter tonight

I'm new to this whole Mustang world, I recently purchased a 2006 GT with 2,900 miles on it. I call it my new old car.

I guess the thread title says most of the story. I have read nothing but great things about a MGW shifter. I ordered one from MGW and from the Ford parts bin, a 2008 Bullitt shift **** and required boot. Tonight it all went in the car. One tip if there is anyone left besides me that is still buying an MGW shifter for a 2005-2009 car, put the big stock rubber boot onto the MGW before you put the shifter into the car. It was a pain on the bench, and I have no idea how you could do it once it's in the car.

MGW also has changed part of the install and it isn't in the video on their site or on the disk that comes with the shifter. Now you put a heavy coat of supplied black RTV onto the rear mount ears before raising it up into position. I would guess this is some form of vibration isolation.

The video also says you need to lower the transmission a bit to get the front mount bolt out. Not on an 06, doesn't have the sound insulation blanket. Turns out, you still need to lower the transmission to get the bolt back in because of the size of the MGW front mount. Oh well, didn't add 5 minutes to the job.

A report from the old man: The MGW shifter exceeded all my expectations in all ways, from build quality to shift quality. There is zero NVH and you feel every gear change through the ****, very positive and very precise. This is one of biggest improvements I could have made to the car. The Bullitt parts are nice too, improved the looks of the inside and now I have a proper shift ball too.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I can't believe anyone would buy anything other than an MGW shifter. I have one in my '06 GT as well as my '85 GT. Love them both.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:09 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Have heard 50 plus times this is the shifter for these cars. The first mod on the first week I owned my 06 gt 4 years ago I got the hurst. I love it honestly but have debated countless times changing out for the mgw.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Also, how did you find an 06 with less than 3k miles on it? Good find !!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Phil1098

Originally Posted by drewsky
Also, how did you find an 06 with less than 3k miles on it? Good find !!

That's what's odd, it was in my own back yard. When I look for cars my search is the USA. I went to Del Rio Texas to buy a brand new 1983 Hurst Olds, Hartford Connecticut for a 8k mile 6 year old Passat (for my wife, long story), West Virginia for a C55 AMG Mercedes. I am looking all over for the right car and as I'm driving in to my work I pass the local Ford dealer. I thought "well there's an 05-09 Mustang, yet I haven't seen it on "cars" or Autotrader, that's odd". So I go to their web site and here is a white 06 with red leather and 2,900 miles. A local customer who had bought all his cars there ordered this car and became ill and passed away. I don't know how long it sat in the garage, but his widow just couldn't let the car go. After so long she thought it was time to move on and traded it in to the dealership.

They were asking the moon for it, and I was full of logic. (I sold new cars for 12 years and was a manager for 7) I just told the guy that I know why they are asking what they were for the car, but for the price I am willing to pay I can get a three year newer CS with only 7k more miles on it. Deep down I didn't care so much about the year as I really wanted a white car with red leather and here it was. He said "I can't argue a bit with the logic, I see if they will take your offer"................they did. I don't think the car has even been in the rain, it is brand new inside(still smells new), out, and underneath. It really is like a brand new car.

Of course it being in the year range where Fords better idea with spark plugs occurred, I pulled them and screwed in 8 new plugs with the 2600 degree anti-seize on them and now I'm good to go.

Put on Redline hood struts last night too. I painted the fender brackets to match the car and removed the big stickers on the struts. Now it looks like it came with struts from the factory. Damn prop rods, might as well use a broom stick.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phil1098
That's what's odd, it was in my own back yard. When I look for cars my search is the USA. I went to Del Rio Texas to buy a brand new 1983 Hurst Olds, Hartford Connecticut for a 8k mile 6 year old Passat (for my wife, long story), West Virginia for a C55 AMG Mercedes. I am looking all over for the right car and as I'm driving in to my work I pass the local Ford dealer. I thought "well there's an 05-09 Mustang, yet I haven't seen it on "cars" or Autotrader, that's odd". So I go to their web site and here is a white 06 with red leather and 2,900 miles. A local customer who had bought all his cars there ordered this car and became ill and passed away. I don't know how long it sat in the garage, but his widow just couldn't let the car go. After so long she thought it was time to move on and traded it in to the dealership.

They were asking the moon for it, and I was full of logic. (I sold new cars for 12 years and was a manager for 7) I just told the guy that I know why they are asking what they were for the car, but for the price I am willing to pay I can get a three year newer CS with only 7k more miles on it. Deep down I didn't care so much about the year as I really wanted a white car with red leather and here it was. He said "I can't argue a bit with the logic, I see if they will take your offer"................they did. I don't think the car has even been in the rain, it is brand new inside(still smells new), out, and underneath. It really is like a brand new car.

Of course it being in the year range where Fords better idea with spark plugs occurred, I pulled them and screwed in 8 new plugs with the 2600 degree anti-seize on them and now I'm good to go.

Put on Redline hood struts last night too. I painted the fender brackets to match the car and removed the big stickers on the struts. Now it looks like it came with struts from the factory. Damn prop rods, might as well use a broom stick.

Love the Redline hood lifts. I have put them on a bunch of cars. Can't beat them.
I currently have them on my '06 GT 'vert & wifey's '08 Mazda Miata GT. I have a kit to install on my '85 GT soon.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:38 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

FTW....MGW and Redline hood struts!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

MGW shifter was the first mod i did when i bought my car in 08 and still love it!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:34 AM
MIDLIFER

I've been considering buying one of these. Will driving it up a set of ramps get me high enough to do what needs done from underneath the car?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:13 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

yes it will, always use jack stands under as well for safety. I installed mine on ramps, it was a lil bit tight but once I lowered the trans mount I had enough room. I also had to separate the rod from the base and install the base then attach rod to base. worked out easier for me that way. hardest part of install is that GD rubber boot. if you get one, it will be by far one of the best investments for driving that you can make. good luck

Quick Reply: Installed MGW shifter tonight