Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter tried to win....but I wouldnt quit!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Oil filter tried to win....but I wouldnt quit!

I have used Napa Gold filters for years. The last two oil changes I have had issues getting the filter off. I always lube the gasket and just hand tighten them and then give a quarter turn more. Both times the oil filter wrench, the band kind just crushed the filter. It took me 30 minutes with oil dripping all over me, busted knuckles and way too much lost skin to finally get it off. I used a razor knife to break the seal between the filter and the motor.

Looks like it will be Wix from now on. What wrench are you guys using to remove your oil filters? Was wondering how this one measures up?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...FYhafgodCKsA7A
Attached Thumbnails Oil filter tried to win....but I wouldnt quit!-img_20140704_152543213_hdr.jpg  
Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Zeus2006

Yea, sometimes those filters don't want to come off. Especially if you paid a shop to do the last oil change.
I picked up a similiar style oil filter wrench to the one in the link you posted. Expect mine was local to me at a sears or ace hardware store and made by craftsman. I think it was $20, but I grew tired of dealing with the different size oil filters used on different cars, and having to carry multiple oil filter removal tools. Now, I am confident, no matter what car I but, the oil filter wrench will remove almost any oil filter from almost any car.

And I've already decided, if this wrench I have doesn't do the trick, I will just hammer a screw driver through the side of the oil filter and turn the screw driver untill the oil filter comes off. I almost did that on my last non-mustang car, but instead I went to the hardware store and picked up the wrench I have now. If this wrench doesn't work on a car/truck in the future, I'll just go caveman style. haha
Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I had to use the hammer and screwdriver method once on my GTO... That makes your butthole pucker just a bit... I was fully expecting with my luck that I would shear off half the filter and be screwed.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
I had to use the hammer and screwdriver method once on my GTO... That makes your butthole pucker just a bit... I was fully expecting with my luck that I would shear off half the filter and be screwed.
I've done that a few times in the past!

I am sure it ws my fault for having tightened too far past gasket touch but sometimes 3/4 - 1 turn just doesn't feel like enough ...

Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

never had problems with any car or bike tbh...i only ever do mine as tight as i can with 2 hands..
i use a cheap chain type to remove mine..
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've never had a problem with the screw driver method when all else fails. I've never crushed a filter with a band clamp wrench either.

Wix makes napa gold filters by the way.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Honestly I've never had a problem getting a filter off this car- I wrap it in a paper towel and I can get it off by hand most of the time.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

It very well could of been my band clamp wrench. I put some pressure on that b#tch to get it off and she just crushed. I only hand tightened the new filter.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:46 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I just had to use the screwdriver method for the first time on my GT. Not sure what happened to the filter that it tightened itself up either. I have always used the motorcraft filters on all my ponies and this was the first issue Ive ever had.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Sometimes the wrench may be slipping a bit. You can wrap some sandpaper around the filter, grit side towards the filter. Then put the wrench over the sandpaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil filter tried to win....but I wouldnt quit!