Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped brake rotors

Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Default Warped brake rotors

Got Powerstop drilled / slotted rotors pads.. about 10,000 miles on them.. noticed a slight warp in the steering wheel a month or so ago.. nothing major.. had to release the wheel to see it.

Today. Major steering wheel shake.. but comes and goes ..

Checked the run out with a dial indicator.. one side was 0.002" the other was 0.004" on the extreme diameter of the rotor.. is that really enough to be a problem???
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Have you ruled out tire balance? Tire pressure? Lug nuts properly torqued? Have the unnecessary wheel stud rings been removed?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

To add to the above, don't remove wheels when the rotors are hot.

Rotor run-out is usually .002" - .003" max. I'd try removing the .004" rotor, clean the back face and hub area well and then reinstall the rotor 180 degree to previous mount on hub. Then measure your run-out again.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys..

Light switch event.. Yesterday.. bam! wheel shake..

I did the pull the 0.004" rotor, clean and 180 it on the hub.. with two bolts on it, both sides are 0.002"...

See vid below.. This comes and goes..

Very hard to do, but crawled under it and put the indicator on it with wheel bolted on. one side was 0.002" the passenger side was 0.003-0.004" .. think it's just a hair over 0.003" but it's really tough to get measurement..

Ball joints seam tight.. bushings on A arms seam tight.. my GoPro won't talk to my phone so no GoPro's until weekend to see what's shaking...

Check out vid.. sure looks like warped rotor.. whey does it go away sometimes???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_k...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Criticalmass

Originally Posted by robs
Thanks guys..

Light switch event.. Yesterday.. bam! wheel shake..

I did the pull the 0.004" rotor, clean and 180 it on the hub.. with two bolts on it, both sides are 0.002"...

See vid below.. This comes and goes..

Very hard to do, but crawled under it and put the indicator on it with wheel bolted on. one side was 0.002" the passenger side was 0.003-0.004" .. think it's just a hair over 0.003" but it's really tough to get measurement..

Ball joints seam tight.. bushings on A arms seam tight.. my GoPro won't talk to my phone so no GoPro's until weekend to see what's shaking...

Check out vid.. sure looks like warped rotor.. whey does it go away sometimes???

Might have dropped a wheel weight. If it's happening only at certain speeds that is more than likely the cause. Either that or a bent rim?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Don't think so.. was doing it going to work this morning.. coming home.. 30 miles.. interstate and back roads.. perfect. No shake what so ever.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You haven't mentioned if it's only when you apply the brakes that you see this wobble/shake?

If it's all the time, then it would not be warped rotors. I would look at a separated tire or dropped wheel weight if it's all the time.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
You haven't mentioned if it's only when you apply the brakes that you see this wobble/shake?

If it's all the time, then it would not be warped rotors. I would look at a separated tire or dropped wheel weight if it's all the time.
Sorry... only on braking... only above 50mph and only under moderate / hard braking..

Had the 0.004" rotor turned.. no affect... Going to rotate tires tonight
Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by robs
Sorry... only on braking... only above 50mph and only under moderate / hard braking..

Had the 0.004" rotor turned.. no affect... Going to rotate tires tonight
What's the runout on that rotor now?

You had the rotor turned on the car or off the car.

When you turn it off the car you're just truing the rotor. When you turn it on the car you true it for the hub it's on. Any contact surface imperfections between the hub/rotor are accounted for.

If the run out is < 0.003" and rotating the tires does nothing, check the bearing. Could be wearing out.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Good ideas. Keep 'em coming. I'm outta ideas.

Vid:

Only does on braking. Was light switch event. Nothing then lots of shake. Was intermittent. Now pretty much all the time. Tracks dead straight on and off the brakes.

Driver side rotor has been 0.002" with and without the wheel bolted on.

Passenger side was 0.004" with and without the wheel. Have turned the rotor. Have not checked run out since turned.

Bearings tight. Ball joints tight. Tie rods tight. Nothing has play.

Rotated tires one at a time to the back. Had zero affect.

Tires are Nittos purchased late fall. Can spin them and no wobble. Brakes put on three months ago. Struts are Koni's that are right at a year old.. everything there is tight. 135,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited by robs; 07-15-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warped brake rotors