Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with the cold air intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 PM
dseg
1st Gear Member

Default What's the deal with the cold air intakes?

I was looking to get a new intake and I am wondering how these nice air filters with tuners are "cold air" intakes when the filter is open to the hot air from the engine. Intake

On my stock '14 GT, my filter sucks air from the front of the car and is completed covered under the hood. But these air filters on American Muscle have the air filter exposed to the hot air in the engine compartment.

I also have the vents on my hood which would pour water onto these filters.

Am I missing something here?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Before I installed the Vortech blower on my car I had the AFE intake pictured below. When the hood closes, it creates a barrier on top to seal the intake away from the heat coming from the motor. The only air that this intake will have access to is a factory air scoop that directs air directly to this intake.

Best of all AFE makes all their parts in their Southern California location all made in the USA, no parts are outsourced, all R&D is done in house and produced in house as well, so you can really support a great company who is passionate about manufacturing parts in the US.

AFE intakes use a very special oil base with their oiled filters, specialized and refined when AFE picked up an account to work with Toyota TRD. This oil will not gunk up your MAF and will produce a good clean signal without false MAF readings.

You can see in the picture below the access to the factory scoop will lead directly into this air vent you see in the middle of the picture

A proper intake like this one will use heat resistant materials to prevent heat soak:

aFe Power Magnum Force Pro 5R Stage 2 Intake System for '11-'14 Ford Mustang 5.0L

Best of all they come in black, and they come in polished, and is offered at a great price. Feel free to contact me directly with any further questions
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

What ModBargains said. That box is open to the cold air in the wheel well and sealed off from engine bay heat (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

An intake without a tune is useless, just FYI. Don't even waste your money, save up for intake + the tune. Much bigger difference and the tuner they come with will help you in the future when you mod something else and need a new tune to make it run properly.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:21 PM
dseg
1st Gear Member

I found this video from another forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw#t=59

Around 4:40 they start talking about air intake. Guess I am not "upgrading" lol
A tune will void the warranty on my brand new GT so I am not doing that right now..
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

So, let me get this straight - people are paying many hundreds of dollars for aftermarket CAIs... and they just pull air through the same size intake that came with the car?

A fool and his money are soon parted at the hands of effective marketing.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dseg
I found this video from another forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw#t=59

A tune will void the warranty on my brand new GT so I am not doing that right now..

Good link. Ford has made it clear, on many videos and occasions, that CAIs on the 2010+ is just a waste of money. The only time I could see needing to replace the OEM intake is if you need massive amounts of air and find a custom CAI / ram air setup that truly increases the CFMs over the factory unit.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

No, it won't.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

not gonna touch my 2010...leave it stock...original airbox has to filter better..so must be better for the motor.
btw my 2005 had cai and tune

my 2010 is way faster..
Old 07-26-2014, 06:35 AM
dseg
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.
I guess those fancy "cold air intakes" are for the kids that want that cool look under the cool. Not sure how people do not realize these $400+ air filters are pulling air from the engine compartment...

I was looking at the seal that I heard some people mention. The air box and hood definitely do not form a seal to keep the hot engine air out. Just by looking at my '14 GT, there is no way... It would also defeat the purpose of having that massive air intake if the air is still only be sucked from the front slot.

So I do still need to replacement air filter, are these any good? K&N Link
Old 07-26-2014, 08:57 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.
I guess those fancy "cold air intakes" are for the kids that want that cool look under the cool. Not sure how people do not realize these $400+ air filters are pulling air from the engine compartment...

I was looking at the seal that I heard some people mention. The air box and hood definitely do not form a seal to keep the hot engine air out. Just by looking at my '14 GT, there is no way... It would also defeat the purpose of having that massive air intake if the air is still only be sucked from the front slot.

So I do still need to replacement air filter, are these any good? K&N Link
no. just pop open the stock airbox every once in a while and make sure there aren't any leaves or stuff in there. My car manages to suck up an impressive number in a relatively short time.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the cold air intakes?