Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converted/New Stang owner

Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 PM
FREDFIVE0

Smile Converted/New Stang owner

I traded my car last week and now a proud owner of a 2014 Mustang gt/cs race red, took about a week for it to get to me. Although I was mainly a lexus guy I always had a love for the mustang style/look and feel.

I was wondering if any vet stang owners have any recommendations or things to watch out for. I am not gonna mod the car and drive pretty calm, I do plan on driving to seattle for vacation. so far my car has 500 miles on it. Only thing I will change is the exhaust, and bought the roush axle back.

Questions would be like
How often have you changed your oil, or brakes
what do brand is good for oil
Tires I have now are Pzero 245/45zr19 , as of now I seem to be happy with it
is there a recommended upgrade is should be looking for? like lower control arms

thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

oil change is 10k, brakes, when they wear out. Mobil 1 is good for oil. Tires is totally subjective.

Mod as much or little as you think you need. :-)
Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

10k between changes? Idk about that even if it's ford recommended. I wouldn't in my car!!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

A lot of people change to a synthetic oil, like Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and Amsoil. This can extend the interval between changes to ~ 10k miles or more under the right conditions.

Personally, I use Royal purple and go ~ 9k miles with a filter change at ~ 4.5k miles. I could probably go a bit longer but I'm a spirited driver, so I change sooner.

Here's what Royal Purple has to say about synthetic oil change intervals.

Premium Full Synthetic Motor Oil Change Interval

I have 28k miles on my '06 and haven't changed brake pads yet and last I looked, they still have plenty of pad left. Just check them from time to time looking through your wheel spokes, you should be able to tell if they're worn to the point of being replaced.

Congrats and good luck with your new Stang!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:09 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
10k between changes? Idk about that even if it's ford recommended. I wouldn't in my car!!
I haven't had a car with any less than a 8k oil change interval in my adult life.

I'm 31 now.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As far as oil changes, assuming you change to full synthetic (and that's mainly for extending oil change frequency. At the correct frequencies, even dino oil will provide no less engine life), 10k miles is very common with quite a few folks going 15k or more. Dark oil is NOT an indicator of "bad" or "used up" oil. I've seen crankcase oil tested at 20k miles that still had acceptable life.

OP, check out getting a custom tune. The 5.0 responds with about 30 or more RWHP.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the car, I changed my oil at the 5000 mark just to get any impurities from the manufacturer out with Mobil 1. The only thing to keep an eye on is the oil level during break in. I had to add about half a quart throughout the first 1500 miles to ensure it stayed within the specs of operating range on the dipstick. Now all is well.

Last edited by dslpow3r; 07-31-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I haven't had a car with any less than a 8k oil change interval in my adult life.

I'm 31 now.
Whats great about these newer vehicles is the Oil Life feature within your computer. Go through the "set up" menu in your vehicle and it will give you an Oil Life percentage. You will need to change the oil when the computer is lower than 5%. Read your owners manual, it says it right in there. Don't listen to these oil companies that say to change every 5,000 or 15,000. No. Your vehicles computer calculates your oil life based on your driving habits/environment specifically for your car. Change the oil when the computer says to change it.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i wait the car tells me..it's at 50% right now after 2k miles..so it looks like every 4k miles..
probably for me end of september before i put it to bed for 6 months

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converted/New Stang owner