Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional Rear Diffuser?

Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Default Functional Rear Diffuser?

So I got rear ended last night, but that's not so bad, perfect time to start looking at upgrades for the rear of my car!

I'm currently running a GT/CS rear bumper but am thinking about upgrading to something with a functional rear diffuser instead of the little baby ones I currently have. My favorite one so far is one of the first ones I picked out....... http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-262019.html

I really dig the look and wouldn't mind a little more stability but DAMN it's expensive, as much as my entire bumper cover and I feel like that might be a little tricky scoring an OEM GT bumper and that from the insurance company.

What do y'all think? Any other options?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Ricey IMO unless you had a full built track car, my question is why?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i went this route:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/gt500-...mper-0509.html
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Ricey IMO unless you had a full built track car, my question is why?
I knew some people would think it's ricey, but I'm not going the standard direction with my car. It's not a cheap, tacky upgrade. Granted it's not like a diffuser on a real track car that runs almost entirely down the undercarriage but it has to account for something. I do track my car mind you. Besides look at this body kit man http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-265000.html

If you saw that going down the road you know you'd be neck breaking.

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
That's what I currently have. the difference is not really entirely noticeable though cosmetically; aerodynamically they have no real function.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You're wasting your time & money. The FR500 just runs a GT/CS rear bumper cover and I'm sure those cars perform at a higher level than yours does.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

You'll need to extend the front most edge of that diffuser under the vehicle past the trunk and spare tire well in order to make it fully functional with some venting that escapes towards the exhaust exits. Otherwise its just ornamental and marginally functional. You can do it with either ABS sheeting or carefully placed tarpaulin sheeting stretched and pinned under the vehicle. You'll need to do the same to the front end back towards the crankcase otherwise you're just creating a huge wind break at the rear undercarriage.

Boom
---
Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I've looked at it and hope to get it someday, it attaches to the wheel well and should provide some benefit even if it is just keeping the lower edge of the bumper from being an air dam in the middle, it should stabilize the ride a bit... but not nearly as much as getting the suspension dialed in. I don't know that the benefit it provides will be noticeable at the power level the OP is at or hopes to be at.
OP, do it if you like, but don't expect insurance to cover it.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
You're wasting your time & money. The FR500 just runs a GT/CS rear bumper cover and I'm sure those cars perform at a higher level than yours does.
This comment is pretty foolish. I do not care what the FR500 runs. A lot of cars faster than mine don't have diffusers, doesn't necessarily mean they can't benefit from one.

Also as I stated, this is coming from insurance money. The previous owner put a decal on the back of my car that I don't personally care for, thus I'm using some of that money and splitting the difference whichever route I take.

I asked for OPTIONS not your opinion, and if you're going to give me yours at least read the comments before blurting out some half assed "knowledge".
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
So I got rear ended last night, but that's not so bad, perfect time to start looking at upgrades for the rear of my car!

I'm currently running a GT/CS rear bumper but am thinking about upgrading to something with a functional rear diffuser instead of the little baby ones I currently have. My favorite one so far is one of the first ones I picked out....... http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-262019.html

I really dig the look and wouldn't mind a little more stability but DAMN it's expensive, as much as my entire bumper cover and I feel like that might be a little tricky scoring an OEM GT bumper and that from the insurance company.

What do y'all think? Any other options?
This comment is pretty foolish. I do not care what the FR500 runs. A lot of cars faster than mine don't have diffusers, doesn't necessarily mean they can't benefit from one.

Also as I stated, this is coming from insurance money. The previous owner put a decal on the back of my car that I don't personally care for, thus I'm using some of that money and splitting the difference whichever route I take.

I asked for OPTIONS not your opinion, and if you're going to give me yours at least read the comments before blurting out some half assed "knowledge".
Asking what we "think" is asking for an opinion, just FYI.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Last edited by Ricardo; 08-04-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Functional Rear Diffuser?