Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI/ Tuner Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default CAI/ Tuner Recommendations

Gents,

I know the next mod will simply have to be a CAI and tune. So with that in mind, a few questions-

Any recommendations on the intake? I am leaning towards Steeda right now.

Any recommendations on who to get the tunes from? I am torn between BAMA and Brenspeed.

Thoughts and input always welcomed. I know that with the 09's there was no way to declare any CAI requiring a tune "Better." That said I wonder which tuner is safer? I was looking for a FRPP CAI but didn't see one except for the Cobra Jet... a FRPP CAI for the base 5.0 isn't in the works is it?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I love my Steeda CAI I would recommend it then a nice STC tuner would work great with it. I have a BAMA tune and it works great, however I do plan on having it dyno tuned just to dial everything in better. But Bama should be great to get everything up and running.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:27 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I have a JLT on my 05, I like it. As far as tune, I recommend a dyno tune, my mail order ones all ran too lean once I got them on the dyno.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:35 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

I have a Steeda CAI and a Hypermotive Tune. Unless you plan on modding it heavily, you won't need a dyno tune. A dyno tune may squeeze a few extra ponies out of it...but not for the price you will pay for the tune/dyno. Just my opinion.

I have had Brenspeed, Bama, Bamachips (before it went to AM), and Hypermotive. Hypermotive is by far the best. Drives near stock, not jerky like the Bama. Bama could never get my tune right. Hypermotive gets me 27-28mpg and their customer service blows all of these out of the water.

If you are worried about the warranty, go with Fords Procal...but don't expect power gains like the others.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Correct me if I am wrong but if you were to reflash it to stock and reinstall the factory intake and drive it long enough for the computer to reset can't dealerships not tell any aftermarket intake was ever installed?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I would think so yeah because once you reflash it, its stock... but if you had other mods that needed tuning to work right that is where the stock tune would **** some **** up..... Most dealerships are not going to fuss over a CAI and a tune.....
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

From my understanding...the new 5.0's can tell how many times you have flashed the PCM. Doesn't matter how many miles you drive it after you re-flash it. If something happens, and you need a new block...a Ford engineer will know that it has been tuned...and could...could deny warranty.

That being said...I have modded the **** out of my car.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

The CAI is almost a complete waste of money for 99% of Mustang owners, especially with your year model.

Save your money, skip the CAI, get the tuner and put the saved money towards something worthwhile.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

CAI on the 2011+ 5.0 adds nothing. The car already has a CAI. It's all in the tune with these cars now. The stock air box exceeds the needs of the engine..and is the same one used on the air-hungry BOSS. Save the cash for something else.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stags
Gents,
I know the next mod will simply have to be a CAI and tune. So with that in mind, a few questions-
Any recommendations on the intake? I am leaning towards Steeda right now.
Any recommendations on who to get the tunes from? I am torn between BAMA and Brenspeed.
Thoughts and input always welcomed. I know that with the 09's there was no way to declare any CAI requiring a tune "Better." That said I wonder which tuner is safer? I was looking for a FRPP CAI but didn't see one except for the Cobra Jet... a FRPP CAI for the base 5.0 isn't in the works is it?
Hey Stags-

There's a lot of great tuners out there and I'm sure we can all deliver you a great tune. There's a lot of back and forth in regards to Ford's factory box as well, which while it's pretty effective it's an eyesore in my opinion and there's still extra power to be made. Being said Here's the basics on how we have our tunes set up!

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes. Between our many different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect.

Another great benefit to ordering with us is our Free Tunes For Life program. Any time you get a new modification or want some changes to your file, just hit up the Bama team and will get you a revised file sent out immediately!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or feel free to shoot Bama a call at 888.226.9764 and they're there to help!

Alex

Quick Reply: CAI/ Tuner Recommendations