Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To trade or not to trade

Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default To trade or not to trade

Hey guys, so I got a 2006 Mustang GT about 6 months ago or so now. I've been contemplating doing cams, supercharger, longtubes, forged internals, etc. The nice thing is I recently got a new job and I can luckily afford all this stuff pretty easy with a little bit of saving. However, I've also come to realize that I can also afford a higher car payment. So I could trade this in ( I would take a little bit of a hit on it) and get a 2011-2012 and if I could get a good deal I may even be able to get into a 2013-2014.

So you can see my predicament here, should I get a newer mustang and have some good power out of the gate and then supercharge it. Or should I get a little crazy and just build up the one I have now? My big thing is I want a stick which my current Mustang is not. My right hand just gets bored after a while.

If you guys were in my position what would you do?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:13 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

If your going to do everything then keep it. You will be turning some good power. Inless you want some more creature comforts. It's really up to you. With eveyyhing you were talking about and if you did it right. Expect to have about 10k in the motor if they do it all. Another 7 to 8 fir a supercharger. You should get billet gears for the pump. Use ID 1000 for your injectors. Expensive but worth it. A torque convertor for your automatic. I still to this day say that's my most favorite mod. It really brings hp to life. Hands down the best mod. Just know you can be slower if your not great a power shifting which most aren't. I love it when a guy brings his gt500 to the track. Generally nice guys but always get spanked.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
Hey guys, so I got a 2006 Mustang GT about 6 months ago or so now. I've been contemplating doing cams, supercharger, longtubes, forged internals, etc. The nice thing is I recently got a new job and I can luckily afford all this stuff pretty easy with a little bit of saving. However, I've also come to realize that I can also afford a higher car payment. So I could trade this in ( I would take a little bit of a hit on it) and get a 2011-2012 and if I could get a good deal I may even be able to get into a 2013-2014.

So you can see my predicament here, should I get a newer mustang and have some good power out of the gate and then supercharge it. Or should I get a little crazy and just build up the one I have now? My big thing is I want a stick which my current Mustang is not. My right hand just gets bored after a while.

Since you are not fully happy with the auto, I would trade for a manual. That way you can focus on the power adders, and probably a new clutch
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

car is old, since you have the money why not invest in a new mustang/c7/car lol
Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

trade up dude..throwing money into your car is just a waste...you'll not get it back.
the newer ones are another league..
Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Is your current car paid off? how stable is your new job? Trading for a newer model isn't always a good thing.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
trade up dude..throwing money into your car is just a waste...you'll not get it back.
the newer ones are another league..
Throwing money into ANY car is a waste.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Throwing money into ANY car is a waste.
ofc but going ott with mods is madness imho...better to save that cash towards a better car...i will never ever touch mine...all spare cash will be going towards a proper sports car in about 3 years time

porsche 911 turbo...
Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by iMuf

Is the car paid for? If so then go ahead and check out a newer one. If it's not paid for you're going to be losing money on a trade-in.

Stay away from 2011 though. They have a #8 cylinder issue that sometimes pops up with tunes. If that happens, consider the warranty void. Ford even put out a TSB regarding aftermarket tunes and the 2011 because of it. They also had some manual tranny issues. Mostly related to the type of gear oil used. Worst case was the synchro gears.

2012+ doesn't seem to have any issues with the #8 cylinder or gear oil.

Yeah, the Auto in these cars (05-10) are crap. Only reason I got it was cos the wife (Who can drive stick) didn't like the clutch feel on the stangs when we went test driving. She wanted to take the car out sometimes too. Well, fast forward 6 years and she's driven it maybe 7 or 8 times. Never again.

I hate it. Clunky, noisey, unpredictable when hot as to when exactly it will down-shift if I step on it or if it will downshift....
Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

I was all for you keeping your current mustang and building it up because you say you have the money to add things such as forged internals and supercharger. And I prefer the 05-09 body style a lot more but the 5.0 engine is amazing. BUT... the moment you said it's an automatic, I switched to you trading up, that is if you can swing it and the payment won't hit you too much. It is good to have a car payment that you really don't even notice coming out of you bank account. That's just my opinion...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To trade or not to trade