Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear O2 spacers - new DTC! Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:22 PM
astolt12

Default Rear O2 spacers - new DTC! Help

Hey all,

Been fighting the good fight with DTCs since I put on my long tubes and recently have been throwing p0420/p0430 codes which I understand with high flow cats are essentially nothing...but the CEL always coming on and needing to pass emissions in this state I had to fix it; so I tried the spark plug fouler trick I read on the forum. The car then threw a p2098 "DTC Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean." I'm assuming this is caused by my recent modification but also want to see if anything else could be affecting this. I've only seen it once, but I'm not sold I'm in the clear.

Is this something I need to worry about as it is the rear o2s? It shouldn't affect the AF mixture right?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:35 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

It wont affect the A/F but passing the regulation test would be another story next time around.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:43 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Are you by chance using the o2 extensions?

To get the car to pass emissions there's a trick in the tune that can be done to have all the readiness tests working AND have the rear o2's turned off. There are only a few that know how to do it though.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 AM
astolt12

Originally Posted by scottmach
Are you by chance using the o2 extensions?

To get the car to pass emissions there's a trick in the tune that can be done to have all the readiness tests working AND have the rear o2's turned off. There are only a few that know how to do it though.

I do not have the extensions on. At one point I did but was getting electrical resistance (or something like that) errors so I had removed them.

I'd be curious to see if that could be done. Currently the car is on it's stock tune and basically back to stock except for the LTs to try and pass emissions. I figure once I get it to pass I can turn the rear O2s off in a tune...but it will still show not ready next year and I'll be doing the same thing.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:57 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

But there are tuners that can turn off the rear o2's and still have the readiness tests come up complete so you can pass emissions tests. There is a trick to it. Who's tune are you running?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Have the tuner set the "readiness test" to 18.

I had the same issue with my "emissions friendly" tune throwing a bank 2 lean code.

There are 2 fixes for this problem:

1) Readiness test set to 18 in the tune

2) Replace the bank 2 O2 sensor with the one from the Raptor. The problem with the extenders for L/T's is that the couplings break the connection from the O2 to the ECM...so you get a "loss of communication". The O2 from the Raptor comes with a proper length OEM extension (remember, it's going on a truck, so more routing needed), that is capable of talking to the ECM, unlike the aftermarket one with the L/T's which has a 60% + fail rate and is 99% of the problem.
It was $120 to upgrade to the Raptor one and is also the recommended fix for this issue
Old 08-24-2014, 03:23 PM
astolt12

Originally Posted by scottmach
But there are tuners that can turn off the rear o2's and still have the readiness tests come up complete so you can pass emissions tests. There is a trick to it. Who's tune are you running?
I currently am on the stock tune, but when I get back re-flashing the ECU it'll be Bama's 87P tune. I'll have to see if they'll set the tune to "18" for the rear 02s.

Originally Posted by steel pony
Have the tuner set the "readiness test" to 18.

I had the same issue with my "emissions friendly" tune throwing a bank 2 lean code.

There are 2 fixes for this problem:

1) Readiness test set to 18 in the tune

2) Replace the bank 2 O2 sensor with the one from the Raptor. The problem with the extenders for L/T's is that the couplings break the connection from the O2 to the ECM...so you get a "loss of communication". The O2 from the Raptor comes with a proper length OEM extension (remember, it's going on a truck, so more routing needed), that is capable of talking to the ECM, unlike the aftermarket one with the L/T's which has a 60% + fail rate and is 99% of the problem.
It was $120 to upgrade to the Raptor one and is also the recommended fix for this issue
I've heard of the Raptor 02 sensors but thought that was only for the front sensors eliminating the need for those pesky extensions...I'll have to look into that and might need to play that card if I cannot get Bama to work with me on this one.

But the bottom line is there should be no harm done to the car by throwing the lean code on the rear O2s - it's just a matter of passing emissions and getting the CEL not to light up, correct?

Thanks!!