Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curb Rash Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Default Curb Rash Repair?

Damn it. Ran up against the curb while trying to parrallel park in a rainstorm. Anyone know if it's possible to have chrome rims repaired and where to go?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy
Damn it. Ran up against the curb while trying to parrallel park in a rainstorm. Anyone know if it's possible to have chrome rims repaired and where to go?

Thanks.
In my opinion I think your best bet is to probably take it to a local wheel repair shop and have them sand it down and buff it out. I'm not an expert but I've heard a lot of people go that route. Hope everything works out.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I know that the wheel repair shops local to my area advertise that they can sand, if necessary fill in missing material, and either polish or re-plate damaged wheels.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Guess I need to open up my Google search. Did Chrome Wheel Repair in Milwaukee and only got a couple sites where I can leave my email and phone. Figured chrome would complicate things. Will drop that.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

this places says they do re-plating:
http://www.rimguardxtreme.com/rim-re...city/MILWAUKEE
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I'm talking about the "REAL" Milwaukee. Wisconsin. I did call them though and the woman said curb rash requires stripping and rechroming and that can only be done in the state of CA! Maybe that's why no one else is returning my inquiries.

She did say that if there was a crack or it was slightly bent they could fix it, but fixing comestic scrapes is out.

Thought about grinding out the scratches, filling and then painting a pinstripe along that edge on all four. Might look a little overdone though. Might just be best to replace the thing.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:15 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy
I'm talking about the "REAL" Milwaukee. Wisconsin. I did call them though and the woman said curb rash requires stripping and rechroming and that can only be done in the state of CA! Maybe that's why no one else is returning my inquiries.

She did say that if there was a crack or it was slightly bent they could fix it, but fixing comestic scrapes is out.

Thought about grinding out the scratches, filling and then painting a pinstripe along that edge on all four. Might look a little overdone though. Might just be best to replace the thing.
Yikes!!! Have you considered having them stripped and then powder coated a different finish? That would suck though because then you'd have to have all of the wheels stripped and coated.
Oops! I just saw that I linked a company from Milwaukee, NC. HAHAHA Sorry!

Last edited by GLOCKer; 08-26-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Yeah. Rather than go through all that I think I'll bite the bullit (pun intended) and replace it. Would surely be less expensive and I'm good with the classic style.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 PM
GO07GT

Was gonna ask what rims you have and if they are even worth repairing. If you spent some coin on them then most definitely. If they are cheap knockoffs then I would just replace them.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM
RenGen
Banned

how much do wheel repairs average for cost? If its a couple hundred bucks It would be better than spending a thousand+ on new wheels and possibly new tires.

I feel your pain bro, I don't parallel park unless the spot in front of me and back of me are both open - it can get frustrating when I go downtown in busy traffic cus I will literally park 1-2 blocks away from where I want to go just so I can avoid parallel parking and find a parking lot at a hardees or something lol. But regardless I always park away from other cars no matter where I go.

Last edited by RenGen; 08-28-2014 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Curb Rash Repair?