Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the LED version of 4057LL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 PM
RenGen
Banned

Default what is the LED version of 4057LL?

Got some smoked tail lights but want to pop in some LED bulbs so I don't get pulled over - if I go to orelley's auto what size white LED bulbs should I ask for? my mustang has 4057LL stock bulbs I believe.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 PM
RenGen
Banned

btw has anyone done something like this? can u explain the resistor stuff? the ones at AM website say u need resistors but from the reviews i saw lot of people had problems - then i saw some ones at auto store that they say you can pop right in and work really well.

if i trust the autozone guy and use his bulbs worst case scenario the bulbs will just fail? or can they also damage my housing and or electrical systems of my car too?

Last edited by RenGen; 10-29-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:11 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

First off, the LED's carry the same bulb name- if you go to ebay and search 4057 LED you'll find them.

Second, these cars don't like LED's, and the resistors are often finicky.

If you look on ebay you can find plug-in resistors (although they're the wrong socket type) that plug in between the harness plug and the bulb itself, and aren't overly expensive. I'd recommend looking at those if you want LED's.

I have some of the LED taillights that come with resistors and I still had a bunch of headaches getting them to work.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 AM
RenGen
Banned

well i havnt seen how the stock bubls look in these housings yet - has anyone installed these with stock bulbs? are they so dark that i could get pulled over? if not i may just keep them as is.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Might have to just try it and find out, they might not be as bad as you think. I had about 35% tint film on my old stock lights and at night you really couldn't even tell they had tint on them. The bad thing about LED bulbs in the factory housing is that you end up with that very distinct circle of light where the bulb actually is, even if you get wide-angle bulbs.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:55 PM
RenGen
Banned

Yes I've heard that too unfortunately.
Has anyone tried these 05-09 raxiom smoked tail lights? They are the 149$ ones at AM. I talked to some people and some say they got pilled over everyday and others said they don't really diminish much light but look really nice.

They will be here tomorrow and after I install them I'll post a vid and u guys can judge for yourselves. Got my trusty 10mm ready, he's dying to get to work
Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

11mm wrench.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
. I talked to some people and some say they got pilled over everyday and others said they don't really diminish much light but look really nice.
You cant stop from being pulled over as the light output quality is opinionated. What you can do is learn your state's law regarding taillight tinting/covering/coloring and minimum visibility distance. As long as you are in compliance with the law it doesn't matter if anyone thinks they aren't bright enough.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:03 AM
RenGen
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
You cant stop from being pulled over as the light output quality is opinionated. What you can do is learn your state's law regarding taillight tinting/covering/coloring and minimum visibility distance. As long as you are in compliance with the law it doesn't matter if anyone thinks they aren't bright enough.
Yeah man, according to the law they just have to be visible for 500ft which I think would be no problem at night and should be OK during the day time too depending which way the sun is shining lol.

Edit: uh I just realized 500ft is just a tad less than 2 football fields... I'm scared now. But honestly.during the day time if the sun is shining I don't think many cars have even stock tail lights thay are visible from 500 ft away, that's just ridiculous.

Just a couple more hours til I get them been waiting outside of UPS for 1 hour now lol. Since 5 am

Last edited by RenGen; 10-31-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

I tried the LED route, but gave up and went back to standard bulbs.

Quick Reply: what is the LED version of 4057LL?